Iowa legislators no-shows at ‘Meet the Future of Iowa’

Dan Slatterly

Despite poor attendance by Iowa lawmakers at a forum dedicated to higher education in Iowa, those in attendance still pushed for better relations between regent universities and the Legislature.

Only two of the 25 state senators and representatives who had confirmed a reservation for “Meet the Future of Iowa” forum showed up Wednesday at the Memorial Union.

Gov. Tom Vilsack, who had also sent a reservation, was not present at the event. He was scheduled to be the keynote speaker.

The reasons for their absences were unknown.

Angela Groh, Government of the Student Body director of government affairs, said members of the Iowa House of Representatives were stuck in debate for a Department of Transportation bill at the Capitol until late Wednesday night, which caused them to miss the event.

“It is unpredictable when you are dealing with the Statehouse,” said Groh who is running for GSB president.

Gary Steinke, deputy director and public affairs director for the Board of Regents, said even though members of the House had to work late, it was important for students and lawmakers to support higher education and the board’s Partnership for Transformation and Excellence plan. The partnership is a comprehensive plan to increase state funding to the regent universities as an effort to help hold tuition increases to the rate of inflation.

Students came to Iowa State from the University of Northern Iowa and the University of Iowa to show interest in the partnership proposal, Steinke said.

Groh, who organized the event, said she counted more than 200 people in attendance at one time, which she said made the event a success.

Awareness of the partnership proposal and higher education were some of the issues which were addressed, she said.

She said the two senators — Sens. Herman Quirmbach, D-Ames, and Steve Warnstadt, R-Sioux City — and regents in attendance would pass the message of the evening on to legislators who were not there.

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy said Vilsack’s support and students dedication for the partnership plan was appreciated.

“Our students are very supportive of the Partnership for Transformation and Excellence,” he said.

David Stout, GSB College of Business senator, said even with the lack of turnout from state representatives, the point was made of student support for the partnership proposal.

He said the state representatives knew about the event, and they know students will continue to push the partnership proposal.

Will Rock, GSB vice president, said this event was another uniting factor between the three regent universities.

He said each individual university used to go to the Statehouse individually, but now the three universities work as one and present a stronger message.

Groh said the regent universities have been working hard to collaborate with each other even though each university has its strengths and weaknesses.

GSB President Sophia Magill and Brenden Moe, president of the Northern Iowa Student Government, addressed the crowd at the beginning of the presentation.

Magill said U of I student body executives were unable to attend because of a prior commitment.

Mark Kresowik, U of I Student Government presidential candidate, represented Iowa instead.