Moderate alcohol use may benefit health of older women

Sheena Chihak

Although excessive alcohol consumption is widely known to have adverse effects on brain functions, taking a more moderate approach to alcohol can actually help the brain.

A study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that women who drank 1 to about 15 grams of alcohol daily — or roughly one drink — had about a 20 percent lower risk of suffering cognitive problems, such as impaired thinking, reasoning or memory loss, than non-drinkers.

This amount would be found in five ounces of wine, 12 ounces of beer or one to two ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits, said Jennifer Willems, a registered dietitian with Hy-Vee Inc.

The study analyzed the relation of alcohol consumption to cognitive functions in women.

Older women benefited the most from one drink a day, especially women in the 70 to 81 age bracket, according to the study. However, college-age students did not see any significant boost from moderate drinking.

“I doubt that the effects would be as strong because [college students] are functioning at a higher level anyhow,” said Peter Martin, professor of human development and family studies. “If you’re already functioning at a higher level, it is difficult to push it up from there.”

Although this study looked only at alcohol consumption in older women, others can still benefit from moderate alcohol consumption.

“Moderate alcohol consumption is typically good for your health, including brain function,” Martin said.

“Moderate amounts of alcohol actually stimulate your brain and cardiovascular system, so there is more brain flow and that has a lot of benefits.”

These benefits can be obtained from sources other than alcohol, such as grape juice, red grapes or other antioxidants, said Judy Trumpy, assistant manager of campus dining services and registered dietitian.

Those beneficial compounds found in alcohol are also found in greater quantity in those alternatives, Willems said.

“I would never recommend that someone start drinking,” she said. “If they do, I would recommend one drink for women and two for men. Under the guidelines it can be OK.”

Precautions can be taken to reduce the risk of a decline of cognitive functions, Martin said.

“[Cognitive decline] is not normal aging. It is a disease, so only people who have a specific disease such as Alzheimer’s would expect a major change,” Martin said. “A lot of it depends on how much practice and training we give our brains. People who exercise their brain will have less decline.”

The brain is still capable of adapting to stimuli as it ages. Although decline may occur in some cognitive functions, other functions increase with age and can compensate for the decline, according to the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.