Lack of discussion postpones keg registration ordinance

Katie Green

A correction was added to this article March 23.

Because of a reporting error, the Feb. 22 article “Lack of discussion postpones keg registration ordinance” described a proposed Story County ordinance inaccurately. If the ordinance is adopted, keg purchasers would have to provide sellers with current photo identification and a current address. They would not be required to disclose the destination of the keg, as the article indicated. The Daily regrets this error.

A lack of discussion between students and community leaders about a keg registration ordinance has delayed its passage, Story County officials said.

The ordinance would require all keg purchasers to show photo identification and provide the address of where the keg would be going. The purchase would be recorded in a log, and buyers would be assigned an identification number for the rental. The ordinance was proposed by the Story County Board of Supervisors and County Attorney Stephen Holmes.

“Each keg will have an ID tag, just like a bar code at a grocery store. The only difference is the person buying it will have their name and address recorded,” said Jane Halliburton, Story County supervisor.

The keg issue will not be voted on for a third and final time at Tuesday’s Story County Board of Supervisors meeting as originally planned, she said. The board will, however, have a time for discussion about the ordinance at the meeting, which will be held at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the City Council Chambers, 515 Clark Ave.

“We’re going to table it for now,” Halliburton said. “There will be an opportunity for discussion. I do not know when or where, but we will take more time for this.”

When an ordinance is tabled, it is put on hold by a parliamentary procedure, reviewed and then moved forward, she said.

Halliburton said the board has no problem taking additional time to make sure there are safeguards.

“The whole thing developed because of an increase in binge drinking among young teenagers,” Halliburton said.

Ryan Doll, Government of the Student Body Towers Residence Association senator, said he didn’t think anything would be solved by the ordinance.

“Students already violate laws when they throw keggers. This will just be another law to violate,” Doll said.

Story County Sheriff Paul Fitzgerald said he supports the ordinance because he thinks it’s a good way to track unclaimed kegs.

He said the county is trying to impact underage drinking in a positive way.

“Anything we can do to try and sort through this problem is a move in the right direction,” Fitzgerald said.

Sarah Walter, GSB director of student diversity, called the keg ordinance a “party registration.”

Walter said she is concerned the ordinance will stop house parties from happening altogether because a liquor license is needed to sell alcohol in the first place. Police will be able to go to a party where there is a keg registered and fine underage drinkers as well as the owners for selling alcohol, she said.

Walter said her main concern is the ordinance will cause more underage drinkers to turn to hard alcohol.

“This is not going to stop them from drinking. If they want to, they will,” she said. “They will find different ways to get beer, or it will force them to drink other things. If the community thinks we have a problem, I don’t feel this is the right way to go about it. This is the creation of bigger problems. This is going to make it a lot easier for students having parties to get in trouble.”

Andrew Tugan, ex-officio student City Council member, said he thinks privacy will be lost if the ordinance is put into effect.

“What we buy doesn’t need to be public,” he said. “They want to curb underage drinking. Whether it will work or not, I hope they are looking at the other effects.”

Doll said the most important thing is that students attend this meeting and have their voices heard.

“I’m afraid they will discuss this over spring break or summer when there are no students around,” Doll said. “I just want representation from all sides.”

The ordinance must go through three public hearings before it can be passed. Halliburton said if the county attorney decides to modify the ordinance in any way, the process starts over again with three new public hearings.

Students are encouraged to attend the public hearing and express their opinions, Halliburton said. The time and place of future discussions will be printed in news releases through the county attorney or the Board of Supervisors.