Crosswalk confusion on campus causes chaos

Jodi Jurgemeyer

Though crosswalks may be the last thing a person thinks about while traversing campus, a lack of awareness of crosswalk regulations has created a hazard for both drivers and pedestrians.

The state of Iowa has crosswalk laws in effect that pertain to Iowa State. Section 321 of the Iowa Code contains laws which grant pedestrians the right-of-way in a marked crosswalk or an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.

ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger said people not using crosswalks pose a problem.

“Particularly during class change times, people cross elsewhere than the crosswalks,” he said.

Students said they have noticed the same problem.

“People don’t look when crossing the street; they just walk out and assume no one’s there,” said Ben Wright, senior in construction engineering.

The ISU Police Department has recorded “several accidents” involving pedestrians and vehicles each year, Deisinger said, but he did not know exactly how many. This has concerned students about what might happen if car drivers don’t pay attention.

“I’m afraid I’ll be hit while crossing the street,” said Kayla Down, sophomore in accounting. “Depending on how fast the cars go, I just walk across and hope they don’t hit me.”

There are specific areas of concern on campus, where heavy traffic intersects with many people crossing the street.

Wallace Road in the area between Maple-Willow-Larch Commons and Linden Hall, along with Pammel Drive and Osborn Drive are areas of particular concern, Deisinger said. Students need to be cautious because of heavy traffic and the high number of pedestrians crossing.

Osborn Drive is controlled for the heavy flow of traffic by restricted access gates, allowing only certain vehicles to access the main campus road.

Cami Bright, graduate student in geological and atmospheric sciences, said crossing the street from parking lot 29 to Science Hall II on Pammel Drive can take a while.

“When you’re trying to cross you can stand there for five minutes,” Bright said.

Some drivers make it easier for pedestrians to cross.

“Occasionally, a really nice driver will stop and let you cross,” Dawson said.

Pedestrians and drivers can both help to improve situations by following basic safety tips: look both ways, watch for pedestrians and follow speed limits.