Meningitis shot prevents spread of deadly disease

Jared Taylor

A new meningitis vaccine that could be available as early as next month spurred a government panel to recommend vaccinations for all college students living in the dorms.

The recommendation — the first of its kind and a reverse of previous policy — was issued last week. The new vaccine is effective for at least eight years, rather than the three to five year life span of the older vaccine.

The new vaccination prevents people from carrying the bacterial form of meningitis and giving it to others.

The new vaccine is expected to cost nearly $100 per shot, a $35 increase.

Meningitis infects 3,000 Americans each year, and the effects of the bacteria carry a high risk of loss of limbs or even death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site.

Penni McKinley, program coordinator at the Thielen Student Health Center, said the shot is not a requirement to live on campus, although it is strongly recommended. She said the cost of the shot is a factor in a student’s decision to receive the vaccine.

“Some insurance companies will pay for the vaccine,” McKinley said. “Because of this new government recommendation, more health insurance companies may cover the cost of vaccination.”

Anyone who lives in dormitories, fraternities, sororities or “any close quarters where people share glasses, cigarettes or beer bottles” are at highest risk for infection, she said.

Following the implementation of the new recommendation, all incoming students are educated about the risks of meningitis infection through an e-mail, McKinley said.

Ginny Arthur, associate director of residence life, said the student health center and the Department of Residence track students who have received meningitis vaccinations and those who have not, even though Iowa law states it is not mandatory for incoming freshmen to be vaccinated.

“Only if there were state or national requirements would we require [vaccinations],” she said. “It is not the responsibility of the department of residence to furnish shots or inoculations.”

There have been no officially reported cases of meningitis at Iowa State in recent years. Meningitis typically kills about 300 American college students annually.

The vaccines are regularly available to students through the Thielen Student Health Center.

If students want to receive a vaccine, they should call the health center to schedule an appointment.

Anthony Cyr, senior in chemical engineering, said he received his meningitis immunization before coming to Iowa State as a freshman.

“Getting inoculated against meningitis made sense,” Cyr said. “It isn’t something you hear about a lot, but when you do, it’s serious. The $100 charge is worth the peace of mind.”

— The Associated Press contributed to this article.