LETTER: Underage drinking? What’s the point?

I think it is important for students in college to have priorities. They may include homework, listening to a free jazz concert, playing a game of cards or taking time to sit down and have an intellectual conversation with friends. It could even involve athletics, dorm life in general or the occasional party. Priorities make life a lot easier. I think some students get confused when it comes to setting their priorities, though. There are too many students attending universities who believe drinking is a priority.

The students who think the only way to have fun — or the only way to relax — is to go to parties on weekends and get plastered with their friends boggle my mind. I think it’s sad some people in college think they have to live up to the stereotypes that people have set for them. And the sad part about it is, these drinkers understand the risks and consequences of the decisions they are making.

In a recent survey done by the Core Institute of Southern Illinois University, an annual alcohol survey advocate, 38,857 students were randomly selected from 89 two-and four-year colleges in the United States. 24,206 students in the survey were younger than 21, and of those, 71.1 percent of them had used alcohol in the 30 days before taking the survey.

I don’t understand why underage drinkers take the risks they take. In the above-mentioned survey, it was found that 39.5 percent of the students had done “something I later regretted,” and 14.8 percent had trouble with the police or other authorities. The legal trouble itself is enough for some to avoid drinking. There are, however, those who will still risk not only jail time, but also the myriad of medical problems and personal problems, like depression, that are associated with alcohol consumption.

It makes absolutely no sense to me how someone can go out on a Thursday, Friday and/or Saturday night, when the only goal in mind is getting drunk. First off, drinking illegally is expensive. According to the Iowa Department of Alcoholic Beverages, a first time minor In possession infraction is considered a simple misdemeanor and is punishable by a $100 fine. Secondly, getting hammered all the time is dangerous. Of the students from the survey, 29.6 percent have driven a car while intoxicated. It’s irresponsible and dangerous to get drunk, especially if you’re underage.

The point I’m trying to get across is that it’s OK not to drink. It’s OK to stay home with your friends. It’s also OK to go to parties, but if you’re underage, do everyone a favor — wait until you’re 21. Go to the party and have a good time with your friends. But when the question is popped, do yourself a favor — show off your self-respect, responsibility, moral integrity and self-control. Politely decline the offer.

Nicholas Skripsky

Freshman

Mechanical Engineering