Delta Chi wants to come back to campus

Kari Hoefer

After low numbers shut down the Delta Chi fraternity almost four years ago, the fraternity’s national organization said it wants to be part of the ISU community again.

In 2001, members of Delta Chi surrendered their charter with hopes to return to campus. Representatives from the Delta Chi headquarters said they plan on recruiting again at Iowa State starting Feb. 13.

Timothy Ulrich, leadership consultant for Delta Chi, said the fraternity’s national organization felt it was time to return.

“We feel that the ISU greek community is in a place where there is a lot of opportunities,” Ulrich said. “There are a lot of alumni in the area, and the timing is right.”

Ulrich said there are many things Delta Chi can offer the men of Iowa State.

“We are giving men the opportunity to build the fraternity that they always wanted … the look, feel, whatever they want it to be,” he said.

According to the Office of Greek Affairs, there is a strict process a fraternity must follow before it can begin recruiting on campus.

It must first present itself to the University Committee for Fraternities and Sororities — a committee composed of the presidents of the Interfraternity Council, the Collegiate and National Panhellenic Councils; representatives from the office of student affairs; and faculty, staff and alumni who were a part of greek organizations.

The IFC executive council and all fraternities on campus must then approve the fraternity. Once it receives a positive vote from each organization, it is allowed to colonize at Iowa State.

Allison Harris, adviser to the IFC, said Delta Chi was approved for colony status last fall.

“They have a semester to two years to colonize to the point where we think they could be a chapter and could survive in the greek community,” Harris said.

Ulrich said the fraternity will be a colony for 18 to 24 months and must have the campus average of 47 members before it will be able to apply for a charter to its national headquarters.

“Once they are approved, we will have one-on-one meetings with the chapter president and recruitment chairs,” Harris said.

Members of Delta Chi will also attend council meetings.

Ulrich will be on campus for four weeks to help with recruitment. In February, the fraternity will hold information sessions and making presentations to alumni.

“We are going to make this happen immediately,” he said.

The chapter house, located at 405 Hayward Ave., has been leased out to students during Delta Chi’s absence. The house is owned by the ISU chapter of the Delta Chi Housing Corporation, a group of alumni in the area.

“We tried to make every effort to keep our same house after we gave up our charter,” said Wayne Christ, housing corporation president. Christ said he believes they should be able to occupy the house in the fall.

“We definitely feel we are going to be successful and would certainly like to reoccupy the chapter facility as soon as possible,” Ulrich said.

The housing corporation wants to make some improvements to the house, but has no plans for major renovations.

Christ said he believes that this is the right time for Delta Chi’s return and that there will be a fair amount of alumni support.

“A lot of it would be helping with recruiting new members from our hometowns, serving as alumni advisers and helping with advisory board, housing corporation and academic advisers,” Christ said.

When Delta Chi returns, the fraternity will try to become an integrated member of the greek community.

“We are offering everything we have,” Ulrich said.

“We are giving all the guys the tools to become successful immediately.”