Iowa artist sees beauty, stories in found art

Rachel Brown

A simple white canvas is a typical base for an artist’s painting, but Daniel Weiss doesn’t want to be limited to that.

In fact, Iowa artist Weiss finds that his canvas presents itself virtually anywhere.

Using wooden pieces he has found in many different places as a base for his art, Weiss has been able to amass a collection of pieces, each with a unique story.

Weiss’ unusual approach to constructing art with his found objects began while he was repairing his house and a board fell from the ceiling.

Weiss examined it and found beauty within it.

“It was perfect,” Weiss says, “I wished I had painted it.”

He says that incident, and his continuing love for modern art, inspired him to create his unique works.

Weiss, a former ISU student, has returned to exhibit some of his pieces, which are assembled materials collected over long periods of time.

The exhibit, “Daniel Weiss: Assembled Paintings,” is on display in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

“Students will find his technique very interesting,” says curator Letitia Kenemer.

“In a way they are very abstract, but they also have so much meaning behind them, and they end up telling a story.”

Weiss says that attending Iowa State and being pushed by his professors helped him become the artist he is today.

“The best teacher I ever had was Michael Chimm,” says Weiss. “He was so supportive, but so damn hard on me.”

Weiss says that the push from Chimm helped him pursue perfection and accept nothing less from his work.

Demanding perfection from himself has paid off. Weiss has had his pieces displayed everywhere from Iowa to New Mexico.

Last year alone he had 14 exhibits, and he estimates that since 1999 his work has appeared in 50 different exhibits. He has also had his work displayed at the Octagon Center for the Arts, 427 Douglas Ave.

Even though his work has been on exhibit for different types of people, Weiss says he likes to display his art to a young crowd. He says he enjoys having shows at college campuses and is grateful to have his art on display at the school he attended.

“It’s also great to hear the intellectual comments from my past professors,” Weiss says.

In addition to his life as an artist, Weiss also works at Johnston Community Schools as an art teacher, which Kenemer says sets him apart from other artists.

Weiss says that he’s learned to keep his teaching and his art separate.

“Work will not impede on my progress as an artist,” Weiss says. “People do what they want to do; it’s important to decide your priorities and how you want to live your life.”

Since he has been able to establish himself as a teacher, Weiss has been able to create his art for fun. Weiss says he has never wanted fame or money in return for his work; he receives pleasure in constructing the pieces for himself.

“I’m not trying to build a career on it, or to sell them,” he says. “I already have a career as a teacher.”

Although Weiss began his work intending to please only himself, he says he wants students to take something away from viewing his exhibit.

“Life is worth living because beauty exists,” Weiss says. “Life is fragile and precious, and each thing should be integrated into the larger picture.”