Survey approved to determine root of Veishea melee

Dan Slatterly

A plan allowing students to complete a survey to help determine the causes of the April 18 Veishea riot was approved by the Government of the Student Body.

GSB voted 27-0 Wednesday in favor of allocating $1,137 for a survey concerning the factors contributing to the riot.

Veishea, an annual celebration of the university, was suspended for 2005 after a riot in Campustown at the end of Veishea weekend. The riot caused more than $100,000 in damage.

The bill was written by Speaker of the Senate Henry Alliger, college of design Senator Tony Borich and college of business Senator Kyle Perkins. It states the 2004 Task Force on Assuring Successful Veishea and Other Student/Community Relations did not reflect an “adequate understanding of the factors leading up to the riot.”

Borich said he wants students’ perspectives to be better represented when ISU President Gregory Geoffroy decides the future of Veishea. Weeks after the riot, university and city officials established the task force and another group — the Commission on Improving Relations Among ISU Students, the University, the City of Ames, and the Ames Community — to investigate the root causes behind it.

Students said the final reports released in November lacked the student perspective on the causes.