Freedom will ring from the carillon

Maria Schwamman

Tin-Shi Tam’s experiences playing the carillon — the bells housed in the Campanile — have given her more than just an appreciation for music.

Tam, campus carillonneur and assistant professor of music, has also gained an admiration for civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. since being asked to play in the first “Let Freedom Ring” concert in 1998.

“When I first started to play, I had to ask because it was new to me because I’m from a different culture,” she says.

The concert, which will be held Wednesday, is part of the annual Martin Luther King Jr. holiday celebration.

Tam, who grew up in Hong Kong, was not very familiar with the holiday until she was asked to help plan the concert.

“Since I came here to Iowa State and participated in the Martin Luther King celebration, it helped me appreciate the significance of what he did,” she says.

Tam has been doing the concert for eight years now. In the beginning, she says she had to get many suggestions and do research to find the appropriate music. Now she says she collects and arranges the music throughout the year.

Tam says it’s not just a matter of finding music that coincides with the theme, but also finding music that can be arranged to be played with the carillon.

“We want to capture the essence and spirit of that work,” she says.

The carillon only has 50 bells, making it a unique instrument and more difficult to arrange complex works of music. Even with this challenge, Tam will perform several pieces in honor of King.

The pieces include “Let Freedom Ring” and “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” as well as several spiritual songs to honor African-American culture, Tam says.

Tam says the concert raises awareness and helps kick off the Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration because it’s public and open to all.

“It’s a good reminder for all of us about what King has set up for us,” says Tam.

Now that she has been planning these concerts for eight years, Tam says she has realized the importance of having a day to honor King’s legacy of freedom for all.

Tam says she believes today a more global effort should be made rather than only in the United States.

“As one world, we need to achieve the same goal,” she says.

Even though freezing rain has frozen the bells of the Campanile, Tam says she is hopeful the concert will go on.

“Rain or shine, snow or whatever, we will still keep the bells ringing,” she says.

What: “Let Freedom Ring” carillon concert

Where: Central Campus

When: 11:50 a.m. Wednesday

Cost: Free

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday celebration events

Schedule:

• “Let Freedom Ring,” a carillon concert; 11:50 a.m. Wednesday, Central Campus
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Party; noon Thursday, Sun Room of the Memorial Union
  • Bodies and Souls Moving for Justice; 3 p.m. Sunday; Collegiate United Methodist Church, 2622 Lincoln Way
  • Community Birthday Celebration; 7 p.m. Monday; Boys and Girls Club of Ames, 210 South Fifth St.
  • “The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till,” film and lecture with Keith Beauchamp; 7:30 p.m. Jan. 25; Sun Room of the Memorial Union