Football players charged with attempted burglary

Adam Graaf

Two ISU football players were arrested and charged with attempted burglary Monday after police said they were discovered inside a dorm room.

The two men charged were Jerry Gair, junior defensive back, and Tyease Thompson, freshman running back, police said.

Police said the room’s residents found two men in their room who immediately fled. The room’s residents followed them, police said. The break-in was then reported to authorities.

ISU Police said they received a call at 11:40 a.m., when the descriptions and location of the two men were reported. After placing the call, the occupants continued to watch where the men had gone, police said. The men separated when they were approached by police.

Gair was arrested outside of Larch Hall near Lincoln Way, and was taken into custody at 11:57 a.m. Monday.

Police said the second suspect escaped from officers as they attempted to arrest him, but after calling ISU officials — who then contacted ISU Police — Thompson turned himself in and was arrested at 6:30 p.m. on Monday.

Tom Kroeschell, athletic department spokesman, said he had not spoken with either of the athletes, but he said both have been suspended indefinitely from the football team. Kroeschell also said both students were at Iowa State on scholarship.

ISU football head coach Dan McCarney, who is on an out-of-state recruiting trip, was unavailable for comment.

The players’ arrests follow a number of reported burglaries within Larch Hall. Although no charges have been made, investigators are still trying to determine whether the previous incidents are connected, police said.

“I find it odd that they would try to rob someone in the middle of the day,” said Katie Pearson, freshman in elementary education and a resident of seventh-floor Larch. “We used to never lock our doors, but it looks like we’re going to have to now.”

Kelli Hemmen, freshman in pre-business and resident of eighth-floor Larch, agreed.

“It’s scary because now I don’t feel safe going to the bathroom without locking my door,” Hemmen said. “These are supposed to be our homes; we’re supposed to feel safe.”

Both Gair and Thompson were charged with one count of second-degree attempted burglary. Thompson is also being charged with interference with official acts.

Both men are being held at the Story County Jail. Gair is being held on $9,750 bond. Thompson’s bond is $10,000.