GSB asks for spring festival in 2005

Dan Slatterly

Updated at 2:30 a.m. CST Jan. 27

Government of the Student Body members decided Wednesday that “a spring festival of some type” should be held this spring, despite the suspension of Veishea for this year.

After brief discussion at the GSB meeting, Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, asked for a vote on holding a celebration. The vote was unanimous.

“We need the feedback,” Hill said. “Don’t assume we are not going to listen.”

Veishea, an annual celebration of the university, was suspended for 2005 after a riot in Campustown on April 18, 2004 – at the end of Veishea weekend – caused more than $100,000 in damage. ISU President Gregory Geoffroy said the riot embarrassed the university and created the need to examine the future of Veishea.

A report from a task force created to evaluate Veishea and help Geoffroy determine its future dealt partly with continuing a spring celebration in some form – but only after a hiatus in 2005.

Wednesday’s meeting, though, marked the first public discussion of a plan for a university-sponsored event this year.

The discussion shifted to how a festival could be better organized to reduce the possibility of problems, and the floor was opened to how the festival could be improved.

Creating more non-alcoholic activities for students received a great deal of attention.

Tony Borich, design senator, said spreading out the events, creating less people in any given area, would be a good idea. Others said moving events from Welch Avenue to other locations could keep non-drinkers away from those who choose to drink.

Ryan Doll, senator for Towers Residence Association, said nighttime activities such as basketball and indoor soccer would be a good idea.

Pete Englin, dean of students, helped guide the discussion.

“I think we’re getting specific, constructive responses,” Englin said. “Any time you can create dialogue, relationships form.”

Englin said more discussions on the topic will be held soon. After the feedback is collected, the common themes will be discussed in a town hall meeting scheduled for sometime in March.