Not always Coca-Cola

Alicia Ebaugh

It doesn’t always have to be Coca-Cola for ISU students anymore.

Pepsi-Cola and Dr Pepper/Seven Up product lines have replaced Coca-Cola beverages in vending machines across campus, and university officials hope the wider selection of readily available thirst quenchers will bring Iowa State more than one kind of refreshment.

Commission revenues for the university have risen with the new contracts, from which Iowa State expects to receive $400,000 a year, said Arlo Meyer, director of business affairs.

But with more products available from two different companies, there are fewer machines offering 75 cent cans — which means Iowa Staters may need to ante up that extra 50 cents for a $1.25 bottle more frequently.

Many students hadn’t heard about the switch before they came back to school, but many found it to their liking.

“I like that they’re offering more juices instead of pop,” said Kim Scott, senior in sociology. “I don’t really drink pop, but when I do, I drink Pepsi products.”

Meyer said that after nearly three months of debate, a committee of 11 ISU students, faculty and staff unanimously decided to award five-year beverage vending contracts to PepsiAmericas and the Dr Pepper & Seven Up Bottling Group in late November after Coke’s contract expired in June.

Misty Matters, junior in anthropology, said she also prefers the new beverages available — she never was a Coke drinker, she said.

“I’ll probably buy more now,” Matters said. “It sucks that there are no cans, though.”

The reason a majority of the new vending areas only provide bottles is because of an expanded product line, said Gail Smith, Iowa vending sales manager for PepsiAmericas — not simply to make more money.

“We’re both trying to get our most popular brands and flavors out, and it limits packaging,” he said. “We’ve also seen a trend in sales that people are opting to drink healthier beverages, so we’re trying to provide that. These kinds of beverages usually only come in bottles.”

Meyer said the committee examined the commissions that would be offered to the university through sales, the quality of the vending equipment and the range of products offered, among other things, while making their decision.

The committee thought that having two product lines would benefit both students and the university, he said.

“There was a feeling we’ll see an increase in sales because there are more product lines and choice, so we’ll get more commissions,” Meyer said.

But the university may not need increased sales to see a rise in revenue — commissions are higher with the new contracts. Lewis said the commission Iowa State will receive from sales of Dr Pepper/Seven Up products is 83.75 cents from each $1.25 bottle of carbonated beverages sold, and 65 cents from each non-carbonated beverage. Sales of Pepsi products will bring the university 69.75 cents per $1.25 bottle of carbonated beverages and 50 cents from each non-carbonated beverage, Meyer said.

The commission chose Pepsi and Dr Pepper/Seven Up because the two companies had better financial offers than Coke, Meyer said. With Coke, he said, the university only received a similar commission rate to Pepsi’s.

Committee member Jon Lewis, director of ISU Dining, said the university was ultimately searching for an arrangement that would make everyone happy.

Meyer said students were a main part of the contract committee. The committee’s student members were chosen through various student government groups, he said, such as the Government of the Student Body.

“The largest percentage of beverages on campus are consumed by students,” Meyer said. “We wanted to make sure we had student input.”

Steve Williams, sales center manager for Midwest Coca-Cola Bottling Company, said that, even though the company’s eight-year exclusive vending contract is over, it isn’t going to “roll over.” Coca-Cola beverages will still be available in campus dining halls, convenience stores and cafes — and, he said, running the vending operation wasn’t exactly profitable, anyway.

Beverages available in most vending machines campuswide:

Pepsi

Diet Pepsi

Mountain Dew

Diet Mountain Dew

Wild Cherry Pepsi

Sierra Mist

Dr Pepper

Diet Dr Pepper

Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper

Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper

7up

A&W Root Beer

A&W Cream Soda

Sunkist

Diet Rite

Aquafina and Deja Blue waters

Non-soda products available in limited vending areas:

Anderson Erickson

Welch’s

Sunny Delight

Country Time

Snapple

Gatorade

Tropicana

Lipton

Hawaiian Punch

Starbucks Frappucinos and Doubleshot energy drinks ($2.50)

Amp energy drink ($2.50)

Bottles: $1.25

Cans: $ .75

Sodas available in limited vending areas:

Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi

Pepsi One

Mug Root Beer

Mountain Dew Livewire

Diet Sunkist

Welch’s

7up Berry Plus

If you want to see different products in vending machines near you, call:

Jon Lewis, director of ISU Dining — 294-3856

—Alicia Ebaugh