Cyclones’ strong play continues with two wins in day two of the Easton Invitational

Jack MacDonald/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State’s Kaylee Bosworth gets waved home by coach Jamie Pinkerton during the Cyclones’ 11-4 loss to Texas March 30, 2018, at the Cyclone Sports Complex.

Sam Stuve

Coming into day two of the Easton Invitational the Iowa State Cyclones were 1-0. After a 1-0 win over the Boston Terriers and a 7-5 win over the Harvard Crimson, the Cyclones are 3-0 heading into the final day.

The Cyclones are now on a seven-game winning streak.

Senior Emma Hylen notched her eighth win of the season on Saturday as the Cyclones beat the Terriers 1-0 in their first game of the day.

Hylen went all seven innings, allowing one hit and striking out four batters.

Iowa State’s lone run came in the bottom of the fourth inning as senior catcher Kaylee Bosworth hit an RBI single to score junior shortstop Sami Williams.

With this win, the Cyclones now have six wins in games decided by one run.

Against Harvard, the Cyclones got their offense going the top of the third inning, scoring four runs.

Junior left fielder Hannah Carter hit an RBI single where senior right fielder Kirsten Caudle score, Sami Williams scored after stealing home and Bosworth hit a two-RBI home run to give Iowa State a 4-0 lead.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, Harvard senior second baseman Meagan Lantz and sophomore first baseman Morgan Melito hit back-to-back solo home runs to cut the deficit to two.

However, the Cyclones’ lead grew to three as Bosworth hit a solo home run to give Iowa State a 5-2 lead.

Sally Woolpert hit an RBI single to give the Cyclones a 6-2 lead in the top of the sixth inning. However, the Cyclones’ lead trimmed to one after freshman designated hitter Kaitlin Lampson hit an RBI single and Trina Hoang hit a two-RBI double for Harvard.

The final run of the game came in the top of the seventh inning. Caudle hit an RBI single and redshirt sophomore Talyn Lewis scored to give Iowa State a 7-5 win over Harvard.

Sophomore pitcher Tatum Ksiazek earned her third win of the season.

Sunday, Iowa State will play against the College of Charleston Cougars at 10 a.m. against the Long Beach State 49ers at 4 p.m.