Common thread of diverse work is Indian fiber

Jay Kim

If you had a single piece of fabric on which to stitch your life, what would be there? What would you put?

This was the question some artists answered in the “Cross-Cultural Design Inspirations” art exhibit.

The exhibit, on view at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 1015 North Hyland Ave., showcases various artwork, all with a unifying thread — the techniques of Indian fiber art.

Cindy Gould, assistant professor of art and design and event organizer, says the idea for planning such an exhibit was cemented when she became acquainted with Nita Thakore.

Thakore, a Fulbright Visiting Artist/Scholar with the ISU department of art and design, was working with students in Gould’s ARTIS 346 Resist and Dye class during the fall 2004 semester.

“It was a great opportunity for my students and me to learn about Indian fiber techniques from someone of her standing,” Gould says. “Altogether, Nita taught 10 different fiber techniques, as well as introducing us to some common visual imagery from India.”

The exhibit has a total of 45 artworks, Gould says.

The works are by Gould and Thakore and nine students from the class.

One of the nine students is Ashley Dobrowolski, senior in art and design and undergraduate research assistant for Gould.

“My artwork is a self-portrait,” Dobrowolski says. “It’s of my history, back when I was a young child and the feelings and expectations I had at that age.”

Dobrowolski says one of the things Thakore talked a lot about was evolving her artwork.

“At first, Nita wanted to work with machine-stitching,” Dobrowolski says.

“However, it was difficult for her because in her region of India, the electricity would only be available certain times of the day. She learned to do hand-stitching as a result.”

So far, Gould says the reaction to the exhibit and the artworks has been mostly positive, with visitors being impressed by the differences in students’ work.

“The reaction has really been ranged,” Gould says. “I think visitors have responded quite positively overall. Initially, they’re very impressed by the colors and the diversity of the subject matter of the artworks. There’s something here to appeal to everyone.”

In addition, Gould says she is happy her students have a venue to show their work.

“I’m glad my students have a chance to show their work and receive accolades,” Gould says. “This is the culmination of all the work they did in the semester.”

Gould says she hopes there will be two things visitors will get from the exhibit.

“First, I’m hoping they come away with a positive and energetic feeling,” Gould says.

“More importantly, I hope people will get an increased awareness of other cultures like India and realize the possibilities of what cross-cultural collaboration can achieve.”