African-American heritage celebrated during Kwanzaa

Abby Penning

Kwanzaa, the yearly celebration of African-American values and culture, will be on full display Saturday. The Black Student Alliance will honor Kwanzaa’s seven principles in a ceremony.

The holiday began in the midst of the Black Freedom Movement; Maulana Karenga, then-professor and chairman of the Department of Black Studies at California State University-Long Beach, started it in 1966.

It promotes seven principles important to the African-American community, said Aisha Mock, senior in chemical engineering and coordinator of the event for the Black Student Alliance. The principles are unity, self-determination, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, faith, and collective work and responsibility.

“We want to show how we practice these principles in daily life at Iowa State,” Mock said.

The event will feature seven separate readings that will portray each of the seven principles in theatrical performances.

“Some of the performances are very interactive,” she said. “People won’t be just watching.”

Karla Hardy, senior in sociology and treasurer for the Black Student Alliance, said she believes the celebration is a great addition to the community.

“I’m really excited for it,” said Hardy, who is also a Daily columnist. “It is an opportunity for people to learn about something new. It helps instill a sense of pride and ownership in the culture.”

The event also helps create more awareness about Kwanzaa, as well as its traditions and customs, Mock said.

“Not a lot of people know about Kwanzaa,” she said. “Here, anyone can come and learn about this holiday.”

The holiday, which is typically celebrated as a seven-day event stretching from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1, has many traditions, customs and symbols connected with it.

In addition to the seven principles, the symbols of Kwanzaa include the crops, which symbolize the harvest and the rewards of collective labor; the mat, which symbolizes African tradition and history; the candle holder, which symbolizes the roots of the African people; the seven candles, which symbolize the seven principles; the unity cup, which symbolizes the practice of unity; the gifts, which symbolize the labor and love by parents for children and the commitments those children promise to keep; the poster of the seven principles; and a black, red and green flag, on which black symbolizes people, red symbolizes their struggle and the green symbolizes their future and hope.

The celebration will end with all attendees invited to join in a feast to commemorate the holiday and all its traditions, Mock said.

The Kwanzaa celebration will be held at 5 p.m. Dec. 2 in the Howe Hall Atrium; the event is open to everyone.