Olson a vaulting force for diving team

Chris Mackey

Eight years ago, a young gymnast was forced to find a new sport; the only logical choice was diving.

After taking part in gymnastics during middle school, Gail Olson got to high school only to find her new school did not offer a gymnastics program.

During her sophomore year, she found the diving team.

The transition from gymnastics to diving was easy for Olson.

“A lot of gymnasts become divers after they’ve gotten injured in gymnastics. I know [teammates] Katie [Herman], Kali [Fryklund] and myself were all gymnasts before,” Olson said. “It doesn’t really matter if someone started in one or the other, but those who were gymnasts first seem to pick diving up easier.”

The summer before her senior year of high school, Olson knew she wanted to continue diving when she moved on to college. To help prepare for college athletics, she began searching for a diving camp to participate in.

Enter Jeff Warrick, ISU head diving coach, and his summer diving camp.

“Her first year at camp, I was definitely interested in her,” Warrick said, “But I didn’t know what her plans were for college and I knew she should be diving in a Division I school.”

Warrick pursued Olson with letters and phone calls and also brought her on a campus visit.

“I really liked Jeff and his coaching style,” Olson said. “I liked the campus, and I wanted to get out of Wisconsin.”

Her first two years went by easily. But, as a junior, she had a problem with fear. It took most of the year for her to overcome it.

“Diving can be scary,” Warrick said. “She struggled with fear and the mental aspects of our sport. That really was what the setback was. It doesn’t happen to everybody, but it does happen.”

To get over her fears, it required a lot of time on her part.

“We talked a lot about the issue and how to manage her fear,” he said. “She had to face it and work through it.”

Warrick said last year set Olson back, but she wants to forget about it.

“She has been diving much better this year than I have ever seen her,” he said. “She has really turned around from it, and I think that not only has she grown from it, but I have as well.”

Olson has been the Cyclones’ best diver this year.

After college, Olson, a finance major, said she probably won’t pursue a career in diving.

“I don’t think I’m Olympic-caliber,” Olson said. “I can’t imagine not doing it, but I will still try to stay involved in the sport, whether it’s coaching high school diving or a club. Although I don’t have much coaching experience.”