IRHA votes to support Dance Marathon

Jeffrey Lewis

The Inter-Residence Hall Association approved a bill 19-1 to provide funding for Dance Marathon in its final meeting of the semester Thursday.

The parliamentary bill will allocate $1,000 to Dance Marathon from the IRHA Discretionary Account. The funds will cover a $700 rental cost for a speaker system and $300 for advertisement in the residence halls to bring in more students who live in the residence halls.

Only one amendment was proposed for the bill, stating all unused funds would be referred back to the to Discretionary Account.

IRHA President Drew Larson said the group was interested in giving money to Dance Marathon because “it is a great way for students to get together and do something fun.”

Larson said IRHA doesn’t get a lot of feedback from some of the activities and organizations they fund, but Dance Marathon does provide feedback and a good experience for students, he said.

Another topic during the meeting was how IRHA would like to become more involved in residence hall activities next semester.

“At the beginning [of the semester] there were lots of social events, but it kind of petered out as it got later in the year,” Larson said. “There are a lot of things in the residence halls that need to be discussed.”

Larson said the status of the Fresh Start Program will be a focus next semester.

“The Department of Residence has been more forthcoming in sharing information and ideas,” Larson said of this semester.