Hung over? Don’t try these

Abby Penning

Students seeking a hangover solution after a long night might consider visiting the C-Store for a quick remedy.

But the solution probably doesn’t lie in the maroon-, yellow- and white-packaged remedy — Chaser Freedom from Hangovers — being sold at campus convenience stores.

Mary Ellen Metzger, manager of the Maple-Willow-Larch dining center and C-Store, said the product isn’t something she supports as a good way to counter the effects of a night of drinking.

“Not only do they not sell,” Metzger said, “but they are not something we want to sell.”

Metzger said she questions the pills’ effectiveness and also disagrees with how the product is being marketed as a dietary supplement, as indicated on the package’s labeling.

She said there is no information on the product about the dietary value of the supplements.

The pills were introduced to the stores at the recommendation of a distributor, said Carl Chumos, manager of Clyde’s Sports Club and the West Side Market.

“Sometimes things are recommended because we are in the college market and we try something once,” Chumos said. “We probably won’t get them again.”

Elizabeth Ramsey, employee at the Maple-Willow-Larch C-Store and sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication, said people do talk about the hangover product.

“People laugh at them and think they’re funny, but they don’t sell,” she said.

The product, which has been available in the Maple-Willow-Larch C-Store and the West Side Market C-Store in the Union Drive Community Center for most of the semester, has not been flying off the shelves at either location.

“I sold four packages to one customer one day,” said Brenda Wilkinson, employee at the West Side Market. “That’s the only time I’ve heard of anyone buying them.”

Marty Martinez, a psychologist with Student Counseling Services, said he isn’t familiar with the actual Chaser product, but doubts the product’s active ingredients of activated calcium carbonate and vegetable carbons are very useful in the prevention of hangovers.

“These ingredients have been around for a long time,” Martinez said. “It’s hard to believe that they would be a new cure.”

Martinez said the calcium carbonate is a medication usually associated with helping an upset stomach. He said he felt the traditional methods of counteracting a hangover, like drinking a lot of water or sports drinks, were more likely to be helpful than the Chaser pills.

“At best, they’re a small piece of what might be helpful,” Martinez said. “They are helping about 1 percent and 99 percent is the other remedies.”

The C-Stores don’t seem to be getting a lot of feedback about the actual usefulness of the pills either.

“I asked the gal who bought them to let me know how well they worked,” Wilkinson said. “I never did hear back from her.”