Chamber Artists entwine cultures

Joe Straatmann

Two shepherds using song to argue over a star in the sky, a haunting Finnish folk tune and a solemn Latin piece will be a part of one holiday choral concert.

Crossing languages, countries and cultural traditions, the Ames Chamber Artists will present their holiday concert, “Our Constant Joy,” on Dec. 18, with a variety of pieces, while also featuring accompaniment by a bell choir, a string quintet and even a conga drum.

The Ames Chamber Artists will also have a shorter concert at 7 p.m. Friday at Reiman Gardens and a full concert Sunday at the Zion Lutheran Church, 319 W. Elm St. in Ogden.

“This is my seventh season conducting, and this is one of my favorites,” says Marin Jacobson, musical director of the Ames Chamber Artists.

The chamber artists, a 16-year-old choir group made of people from a variety of backgrounds in Ames and the surrounding area, have been rehearsing once a week since September and have had two rehearsals a week since Thanksgiving, says Lynn Prior-Miller, manager of business and financial systems for Administrative Technology Services and bass in the choir.

“We’re working people, not professionals, but we try to make it professional quality,” Prior-Miller says.

“The personal satisfaction of working on this project is worth it.”

The concert will start with some classical pieces and spread to a variety of tunes celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah and other holidays in a plethora of tones from playful to haunting, Jacobson says.

One song will even feature a little bit of costuming and props over two singers’ black tuxedos in the song “The Two Shepherd Boys.” Jacobson says many of the pieces will be performed a cappella to emphasize the choir’s skill, but they also will feature some different instruments to provide extra texture.

The Memorial Lutheran Church’s bell choir will be featured on some pieces like “Before the Marvel of This Night.”

“The bells sound kind of angelic. They add a joyful aspect to the piece,” Jacobson says.

Also accompanying the choir will be a string quintet, which will feature ISU students Hannah Park, freshman in liberal arts and sciences-open option, and Erin Gaherty, senior in music, as well James Hannon, assistant professor of music.

Along with ISU students and faculty in the accompaniment, the choir also features a few ISU students and faculty.

Nathan Saetveit, graduate student in chemistry, says he enjoys working with college-aged students and adults who love singing and the times when a song comes together.

“When a piece finally comes together, everything finally clicks, and the choir gets everything in tune, it’s really something,” Saetveit says.

Who: “Our Constant Joy” Ames Chamber Artists in Concert

Where: First Evangelical Free Church, 1008 24th St.

When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday

Cost: children under 12 free, $6 for students and senior citizens, $10 for ticket at the door, $18 for family