Dance troupes perform to raise scholarship money

Joe Straatmann

With all of the dance moves choreographed and memorized, the only thing left to do for some dance choreography students is to name their creation.

After tossing around names like “Please Give Us an A” and the Omega symbol, Jennifer Phillips, senior in performing arts, and Gail Bradley, junior in biology, broke out a beginner’s Spanish textbook to find a name for their group’s piece in the Iowa State Dance Scholarship Benefit Concert.

For Phillips, her group eventually settled on the name “Torcer la Rodilla” — roughly translated to “to sprain the knee” — after a knee injury Bradley suffered while playing volleyball.

“We don’t have a concept, so we’re just going to make it random,” Phillips says.

The concert, which hopes to raise $500 for a scholarship to be given in the spring, will feature a mix of dance performances and choreography from the students, faculty and dance troupes from the area, says Amy Martin, lecturer of health and human performance.

“You can get a good idea of the vast amounts of development involved in choreography,” Martin says.

Performing with Martin and Vernon Windsor, the ISU dance musician and composer-in-residence, are the Co’Motion Dance Theatre troupe in Ames and the Hurley and Dancers in Des Moines, who both provided their services for free.

“They’re really supportive of Iowa State Dance,” Martin says.

Martin and Windsor also provided choreography to students in Dance 370, an advanced dance class.

To prepare for the concert, students in the class went through many three-hour rehearsals as well as being given dance instructions that had to be quickly absorbed, Martin says.

“The goal of it was to see what it would be like to work in a dance company,” Martin says

The concert will also feature choreography by students in Dance 220, a choreography class. The students have worked on the project for more than three weeks, going from an assigned idea to a full-blown dance.

The students experienced a variety of difficulties while working on their projects. She says the difficulty was in getting her ideas visualized.

“It’s difficult to explain what I see in my head,” Phillips says.

The assignment was meant to appeal to the individual talents of the dancers and also to provide them with the most difficulty, Martin says.

In Phillips’ group, the challenge was working on a dance involving the connection of inventive movements with little interpretive dance.

“I’m used to doing something based on a concept, and I’m not used to something based on movement,” Phillips says.

The finished dances will offer a variety of experiences. Laura Helmer, senior in performing arts, co-choreographed a piece she calls “Animal Switch,” which involves the performers using animal sounds while dancing like an entirely different animal.

“It’s pretty interesting, figuring how to use space, and how to put people together in interesting ways,” Helmer says.

Who: Iowa State Dance Scholarship Benefit Concert

Where: Toman Studio Theatre, 196 Forker

When: 7 p.m. Sunday

Cost: $5 students, $10 public