Faculty Senate passes ISUComm after lively debate

Jenny Stanley

It was standing-room only as faculty senators and other faculty and staff members filled the chairs and lined the back wall of the Sun Room of the Memorial Union on Tuesday to hear and debate the future of the ISUComm curricular plan.

Despite spirited debate, the motion to approve the curriculum plan passed with little difficulty after an uncounted “yea” or “nay” vote.

Veronica Dark, associate professor of psychology, said many of the proposed curriculum changes, including those expected to take place across the curriculum and into higher level courses in each individual major, are unrealistic.

Dark, not a senator, said many skills desired by ISUComm, like oral, visual and electronic communication, will require more faculty and other resources.

She said many of the psychology classes and others are too large to allow students to do oral presentations. More classes of the same course, as well as more faculty members, would be needed to meet the requirements.

Gregory Palermo, at-large senator and professor of architecture, said there will be some focus on oral, visual and electronic communication in the first two years of foundation courses along with the emphasis on writing skills.

He said students will then be ready for this communication in upper-level courses.

“There is less an issue of expense as there is will,” Palermo said.

Michael Mendelson, director of ISUComm and professor of English, said different curriculum ideas, plans and consultants will be provided for any department that needs help with things like class size and time.

“We will work within our means,” Mendelson said.

Other senators expressed beliefs that there was not enough evidence to show that ISUComm was much better than the current requirements, though more spoke in defense of the plan.

Hans van Leeuwen, senator for the College of Engineering and professor of civil, construction and environmental engineering, said his department has integrated written, oral, visual and electronic communication skills into its curriculum during the last three years.

Van Leeuwen said resources and time have been concerns, but the overall experience has been positive.

Other senators said the vote is for the benefit of students and emphasized that external funds for the project would be more accessible once faculty members vote to approve the ISUComm plan with confidence, rather than with opposition.

The second motion, to approve a change in ISU catalog language to reflect ISUComm curriculum changes, was postponed.