Senators absent from meeting, GSB Campustown bill rejected

Jeanne Chapin

A bill to establish greater Campustown representation failed to gain two-thirds of the votes of the Government of the Student Body senators Wednesday, but the end result is still unclear.

The bill would have created a GSB seat for the new Campustown Student Association, which was recently formed to better represent students living off campus.

The vote favored the new seat 20 to 9, but could not pass because seven senators were missing from the meeting. The bill may be reconsidered at the next GSB meeting, when a two-thirds majority of senators is present and can pass a bill.

The student association was formed last week to address issues effecting students living in Campustown — including the Ames couch and occupancy ordinances, the rezoning of Campustown, police enforcement policy, the 2004 Veishea riot and the influence of the South Campus Area Neighborhood Association, a neighborhood group composed of homeowners.

“There’s been no student organization representing the interests of students living in Campustown,” said Tony Borich, College of Design senator and author of the bill.

“This bill hopefully will come up again when there’s more senators.”

In order for the new student association to establish a close relationship with GSB, it has to be recognized by GSB, Borich said.

Those senators who voted against the bill said another off-campus representative would be unnecessary because there are already 11 off-campus government senators.

However, because the off-campus GSB representation has the highest turnover rate, as senators tend to move on faster than those living in campus housing, a more permanent off-campus government organization would be able to help students more effectively, said Leia Guccione, College of Engineering senator.

“The fact that the off-campus government didn’t put this together is not a sign that we don’t support it, it’s a sign that we’re new,” said Abby LaCombe, off-campus government senator.

LaCombe said she was in support of the bill.

“I think most people who live off campus actually are really supportive of it,” Borich said.