Iowa State No. 1 in visits to Christian Web site

Dan Slatterly

Iowa State is the No. 1 college campus visiting the Christian Web site www.everystudent.com, which focuses on moral issues like love, sex, marriage and alcohol awareness, as well as other issues.

“Whether you are a Christian or not, it is a Web site that can attempt to answer any questions you may have,” said Mike Carlson, coordinator for the Web site and a member of Iowa State’s Campus Crusade for Christ.

Carlson said the site also compares Christianity with other religions.

Members of Campus Crusade for Christ have been promoting the site with posters, information tables and writing on whiteboards in many classrooms.

The first-place ranking puts Iowa State ahead of more than 900 other colleges that were ranked, Carlson said.

“It shows that religion and spirituality are definitely issues on campus,” Carlson said.

Ashley Aamodt, sophomore in child, adult and family services and Bre McCubbin, sophomore in health and human performance are both involved in Campus Crusade for Christ and promoting the Web site. McCubbin said she and Aamodt helped get the word out by writing “everystudent.com” on the whiteboards in classrooms around campus.

“We tried to do all of them,” Aamodt said.

Aamodt said the effort to get the word out spanned every building on campus. She said green paper signs and flyers were also used.

McCubbin said the Web site is important because it is a way for people to ask questions that they would not generally ask.

“Some things are uncomfortable to ask,” McCubbin said.

She said using the Web site is another way for students to get informed on issues.

Aamodt said the Web site also has contact information for people wanting to send in questions.

She said last week 100 T-shirts were available on campus for purchase. The shirts were green with white lettering that said everystudent.com.

“We sold all of them,” Aamodt said.

Not everyone was sold with the push to get the word out about the Web site. Jacquelyn Ruhland, senior in agricultural business, said the method was not as effective as it could have been. She said she saw the Web site written on the board in a classroom, but had no idea what it was for.

“I just wondered what it was about,” Ruhland said.

If an explanation of the Web site was also written, the message would have been more effective, she said.

However, with Iowa State ranking first among college students visiting the site, Aamodt said the message is getting through to the students.

“It’s just awesome that students can see their questions answered,” Aamodt said.

An effort to maintain Iowa State’s current level of involvement will be extended, Carlson said. “We hope to remain in the top 10 of students visiting throughout the school year,” Carlson said.