Book club allows students to socialize, expand horizons

Jennifer Faber

A book club in the College of Veterinary Medicine is giving students the chance to get to know their new dean and expand their horizons.

John Thomson, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine, started the book club in September, bringing the idea with him from Mississippi State, where he was dean before coming to Iowa State.

“A friend, the dean of the College of Engineering [at Mississippi State], did it, and it was highly effective,” Thomson said.

The goal, Thomson said, is to assist in leadership development for students in the college and to give them a perspective broader than veterinary medicine issues.

Currently, club members are reading books about global society, he said.

The students were given the choice between reading “The Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization” or “Megatrends Asia.”

Next, they will read books about working with people locally, leadership and reaching career goals. “Who Moved My Cheese” is on the list of books to read, Thomson said.

The club of four students meets once a month for lunch to discuss the books with Thomson, who provides lunch and the books, said Brent Volker, freshman in veterinary medicine.

“The dean invited various student leaders and club officers,” Volker said.

“It’s his way to get in touch with the students.”

It is also a good way for students to get to know Thomson on a more personal level, he said.

“It’s an opportunity for me to work with some future leaders of veterinary medicine,” Thomson said.

The club meetings give students a rare chance to meet face-to-face with the dean.

“We spent half the time talking about the books and the other half just talking to the dean about what we think of the school and our classes,” said Mary Kathleen Bennett, freshman in veterinary medicine, of the October meeting.

“He’s 100 percent devoted to us when we’re there for that hour,” she said.

Volker and Bennett have busy schedules, but they said they enjoyed reading and didn’t have anything to lose by joining the club.

“I thought it would be a good break from the daily routine of studying,” Volker said. “If I didn’t like it, no big deal.”

Thomson selects the books from ones he’s already read and by his concepts of what professional students would appreciate.

Bennett said she appreciated the books Thomson has selected.

“The books are about things he thinks will help us in our professional life,” she said.

Thomson echoed Bennett’s views on the club.

“I hope we can provide some incitement and encouragement for developing professionals to address the health concerns of society through veterinary medicine,” Thomson said.