ISU symphony director wants students to find cultural experience of his group

Andrew Shafer

Incoming students to Iowa State may at first feel overwhelmed with the size of the university. James Hannon, director of orchestral activities, says to forget about large classes and the large campus, and instead focus on the plethora of cultural opportunities a large university can offer, like the symphony.

“One of the things I love about universities this size are the art displays and the cultural activities, as well as bands playing in the bars and theater productions coming through the auditoriums,” Hannon says. “The symphony is another one of those things that really makes going to a big school like Iowa State worthwhile.”

Hannon, who came to Iowa State this year from the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, oversees a symphony of more than 70 students from a variety of academic disciplines and musical backgrounds. He says most of the members began playing when they were children in their school orchestras, but some didn’t take up music until after high school.

“We’ve got a dynamic group of people,” Hannon says. “They are not just music majors. The orchestra is about half music majors and half students from every other college and every other major. They’re people who just get together because they want to make great music, and they want to share it with their fellow students.”

The ISU Symphony Orchestra has been playing for the ISU community for more than 100 years and the composition and focus of the group has shifted a bit since its inception.

“Forty years ago or so, the ISU Symphony used to be a town thing. But since then, with things like the Central Iowa Symphony coming in, it has become all university students,” Hannon says.

The symphony can be demanding of members’ time during the school year. It holds practices for four hours each week for the six weeks it usually takes to prepare for a performance, of which there are three each semester. The orchestra also participates in a musical each year; this year, it’s teaming up with ISU Theatre for an April production of “The Secret Garden.”

The symphony performs an eclectic mix of classical music, from symphonic repertoire to operas to oratorios, from a wide variety of composers.

“This can include modern pieces by contemporary composers, and we can also go back and play pieces that are 400 years old, like pieces by Bach and Mozart. In our next concert, we happen to be doing a symphony of Beethoven,” Hannon says.

Hannon stresses the importance of taking advantage of chances to bring more culture to one’s life.

“This is a great resource and a great opportunity to have on campus,” he says. “It’s free and open to the public, and it’s one of the great things that go on at the university. Students always say there’s nothing to do on campus and there’s never anything going on, but there are things going on and it’s free.

“It’s also a cheap date.”

Who: ISU Symphony Orchestra

Where: Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall

When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday

Cost: Free