Students cook up a mystery with ‘Murder in Maui’ event

Erin Mccuskey

Students in the hotel, restaurant and institution management program have a unique opportunity to gain practical experience within the classroom.

Students in HRI 487, Fine Dining Management, are holding a five-course Hawaiian dinner in which participants will investigate a murder mystery Wednesday night.

“Murder in Maui” is the third and final event held by the class this semester. Mary Gregoire, professor and chairwoman of the department of apparel, educational studies and hospitality management, said the class is held each fall semester and allows students to learn about fine dining management through the planning of events.

“Students can learn correct procedures and controls needed to effectively deliver fine dining management experiences,” Gregoire said.

“Few work experiences would allow students the opportunity to have total responsibility for such an event.”

Students in the institution management major are required to complete work experience as a part of their major. Many agreed that the class offers benefits that work alone cannot.

“It gives you the realistic idea of what our job is going to be,” said Minita May, senior in hotel, restaurant and institution management. “You’re going to have to work with people, be organized about pre-ordering and purchasing, determine the style and quality of food and create an atmosphere.”

May said that most of the planning of the event is done outside of class. Students have been planning this event since finishing the last one about a month ago. May said she is working “front of the house,” or not in the kitchen, for the event and has been working on decorations, menu descriptions and organization.

Dan Seda, senior in hotel, restaurant and institution management, said he will be cooking for the event. He said the instructor, Freeman Moser, supervises the kitchen and helps with culinary preparation.

“It’s a very unique class because you learn more about the presentation of food,” Seda said. “You learn how it really creates the actual fine dining atmosphere.”

The class, open to upperclassmen, has 13 students enrolled this semester. The event is planned by these students but is actually run with the help of additional volunteers.

“Attendees at the events have been most impressed with not only the quality of the food served, but also the dining experience created,” Gregoire said of past events.

May and Seda both said the event has taken a lot of time, but the experience has been worthwhile.

“It’s a lot of work, a lot of time, but mostly a lot of fun,” May said.