A day in the life of a poll worker

Joe Straatmann

It was nearing 2 p.m. in the Hawthorn Market and Caf‚ polling location when the steady stream of voters that had poured in since 7 a.m. ebbed.

The polling process is a nearly endless conveyor-like endeavor — taking voters from check-in to handing out “I Voted” stickers — but for poll worker Jenna Jones, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication, the day had gone by quickly.

Jones said she arrived at 6 a.m. to help, and planned to stay until the last voter had left.

“It’d be nice if we had padded chairs, but other than that, it’s fine,” Jones said. “The time has been going fast, and hopefully, it’ll keep going fast until 10 o’clock.”

Jones said about 500 voters had shown up by 2 p.m. She said the expected turnout at her polling station was 650, out of 2,200 registered voters in the precinct.

“It’s halfway through the day, and we’ve already got that,” Jones said.

Despite a few voters going to the wrong precinct and the occasional long wait, Jones said there were few problems with voting at the Frederiksen Court station.

Jones said she and fellow poll worker Jake Knepper, sophomore in communication studies, were the first ISU students to help run the polls at an ISU precinct, which Jones found surprising.

“I think that it’s kind of pathetic that students haven’t taken a role in this before,” Jones said. “But I hope people see that Iowa State students are starting to work the polls and that next election year, they can jump in and help out.”

Poll worker Pauletti Lasley, 3106 Eisenhower Ave., said there were only two things on her mind when her 16-hour day’s work was done — go home and go to bed.