ISU bicyclist enters professional ranks

Jess Jochims

Varsity athletes at Iowa State are not the only people on campus with dreams of being a professional athlete.

Wes Hartman has been active in the ISU Cycling Club and said his involvement in racing for the club and racing for Team MAC caught the eye of some professional cycling teams from the United States Cycling Federation.

“I was approached by a team based out of Milwaukee, Wis., this year, and, hopefully, they will upgrade to a pro team next year,” Hartman said. “It’s not 100 percent, but it’s going to happen. [The team] has already sent me clothes, a helmet and accessories. So I will be racing for a pro team next year.”

Hartman’s first year as a professional cyclist will keep him busy, as his team will compete in 110 races with the average race being 60 to 80 miles long.

Hartman already has some experience racing against some professional cyclists. In the spring, Hartman will head to Belgium, where he will be tested for a slot on the United States National Cycling Team.

“The U.S. national team director met with one of the creators of the new team in Milwaukee, and they recommended me,” Hartman said. “When my coaches feel I am ready for Belgium, they will send me over, and I will compete in Belgium for six weeks.”

Hartman said if the directors in Belgium like him, he will go back in July and stay through September to train for the World Championship race in Madrid, Spain.

“I am one of 12 who have the opportunity to race for the United States. If I make the team, I will be one of six Americans who make the cut,” he said. “If I make the cut, that will make my career.”

In January, Hartman said, he will move to Texas or Arizona. Then, in March, he will head to California for some domestic races.

Currently, Hartman said, his coach has him riding 12 hours a week, biking six days and lifting two.

“In January, my hours will get bumped up to 18 hours a week, and I will start doing some intensity lifting — high weight and low reps,” Hartman said. “That is the reason why I am moving to a warmer climate, and I am also looking forward to some time off school.”

School at Iowa State now becomes a backup plan for the junior in health and human performance.

“I will go back to school when my racing days are over,” Hartman said. “That can be when I am injured and can’t race, too old to be competitive or just can’t make it. If I have the time to go to school, I will.”

ISU Cycling Club member Dave Cornelison said Hartman is at a high level and said he believes Hartman has a good chance of making the national team.

“Racing in Belgium will really be a proving ground for Wes because that’s the highest level of competition in our sport,” Cornelison said. “But if his past performance is any indication of his future performance, I think he can [make the team].”

Hartman became a professional cyclist in a short time, starting only two years ago after a friend bought a bike his freshman year.

“I just loved the way it looked and wanted a bike really bad,” Hartman said. “I saved money between my freshman and sophomore year, and every penny I made, I spent it on a bike.”

Cornelison said it is remarkable how far Hartman has come in such a short time.

“He has already ascended to a level it takes most riders five to 10 years,” Cornelison said.

Hartman is also surprised with his progress.

“It’s kind of amazing without bragging, but it’s something that I really want,” he said.

Physical strength and the genetics necessary to compete at the highest level are things that Cornelison said Hartman possesses.

“He also has the motivation and determination it takes to be great,” Cornelison said.

“He has a tolerance for pain that you experience when you push your body.”

Cycling is both relaxing and excruciating, Hartman said.

“I love training, love the hurting, love the pain and suffering,” Hartman said. “My entire body is scarred up, hitting the pavement. I crashed several times — crashing is part of the game.”