City hopes to maintain campus look

Ina Kadic

Ames’ brick buildings, lively neighborhood and established greek community surround the ISU campus — city planners want to see it stay that way.

Ames’ planning and housing department has proposed a plan to the Ames City Council to protect and preserve already existing buildings located on and around the university.

The draft plan recommends new and elaborated guidelines on land use policies for the University Impacted Area. According to the Planning and Housing/Economic Development department, the University Impacted Area is the transitional area that wraps around the south and west sides of the main campus facilities of the university.

The neighborhood has established a distinct character with a variety of characteristics that set it apart from the rest of Ames, according to Vision for the University Impacted Area documents.

The documents emphasize building sizes and styles, textures of the building’s exterior and the number of windows required on the buildings.

“With the current policy, a nine-story building could be built on the north side of Knapp Street, even though there is single-family housing on the south side,” said Jeff Benson, city planner. “We want this new plan to determine how to make sure that new buildings are compatible with already existing buildings in Ames and to not harm assets of the existing Campustown area.”

Benson said Ames has a good variety of different buildings for housing that are in good shape and have beautiful characteristics.

“We want to welcome and serve more people, without harming the existing area,” Benson said.

The new plan, Benson said, proposes that new buildings not be higher than three stories, brick has to cover 50 percent of the exterior, windows and a public entrance have to be present on the front of the building, more trees are to be planted in the front yards to show a comfortable environment and roofs in the greek communities are to have more variety in texture.

“We have done a good job in bringing housing and businesses together in the main Campustown area, with customers living in the upstairs of the buildings,” Benson said.

Ames residents and ISU students have had several opportunities to speak out about their opinions and additional apprehensions they faced with the new plan. Some students had questions on how the new changes would restrict what they are allowed to do with the areas they reside in.

“The City Council is mainly concerned with the heights and sizes of buildings around the greek community and will be addressing any additional concerns,” said Matthew Flynn, director of planning and housing.

The City Council reviewed the proposition at its last meeting and further questions and concerns will be discussed Tuesday.