Students will bear the elements backpacking Appalachians

Amy Peet

A popular backpacking trip in the Appalachians during Thanksgiving break won’t be as easy as students think, say trip leaders.

Because of popular demand, the trip’s original plan for one group with three leaders was expanded to four groups and eight leaders, said Jerry Rupert, program coordinator at the Outdoor Recreation Center.

Between this trip and the two other Thanksgiving trips, Rupert said, nearly half the Outdoor Rec staff will be out working over break.

Like most Outdoor Rec trips, the Appalachian backpacking excursion was spearheaded by a student on staff.

Julie Yoder, senior in art and design and chief architect of the trip, chose the Great Smoky Mountains after asking participants on last year’s Redwood National Park backpacking trip where they’d like to go next.

“They had a bunch of ideas, and out east was one of them,” Yoder said. “It just turned out to be the best area to go this time of year.”

The season does hold its share of excitement for backpackers.

“In the fall, you run into huge variations in weather, especially in the high country, where there’s always that potential for snow,” said Nick Monserud, senior in civil engineering and a group leader. “You’ll be in shorts one day and freezing in your long underwear and rain pants the next day.”

Weather isn’t the only autumnal wilderness wild card: Bears are particularly active at this time of year as they prepare for hibernation.

“Bears will usually do everything they can to avoid you,” Yoder said. “At hibernation time, they’re struggling so much to get their weight on that their main concern isn’t necessarily avoiding you; it’s their food.”

The prospect of experiencing stimulating weather and wildlife did not dissuade dozens of students who, despite the doubling of space on the trip, were not all accommodated. More than 37 people signed up for 24 spots, and the waiting list is still growing, Rupert said.

But all is not lost for those who wait.

“People do drop out, and we’ve called people on the waiting list and replaced them,” Rupert said.

A high spot on the list does not ensure first dibs, however. When a participant cancels, trip leaders just starting calling down the list, Rupert said. Since participants have to sign up in person, it’s every outdoor enthusiast for himself when a coveted spot is vacated.

“People come running in our door out of breath,” Rupert said.

At least that running will get them in shape. Rupert said backpacking trips are always the most popular, but, he said, they’re not necessarily the easiest.

“People want to backpack because it’s not intimidating,” Yoder said. “Anybody can walk and carry stuff, and that makes it a nice introduction to outdoor activities.”

Although participants don’t need experience or skills for any Outdoor Rec trips, backpacking is one of the more physically demanding activities offered, said Tyler Leggett, senior in aerospace engineering and a group leader.

“It’s not just like going for a walk,” Leggett said. “You have all that weight on you, the terrain is a lot more difficult and you come out a lot more sore.”

Though some optional excursions up nearby peaks may be just slightly out of the way, the solid infrastructure of trails in Great Smoky Mountain National Park eases the difficulty of the Appalachian terrain, Yoder said.

But trails aren’t always a walk in the park, even in the relatively low, rounded domes of the eastern mountains. But there is an upside.

“Once you get out there, you’re hooked,” Leggett said. “When you see the backcountry for the first time, it’s just amazing. The best postcard in the world can’t capture it.”