Veishea commission to continue relation recommendations

Abby Penning

Veishea commission members will share their recommendations on how to improve relations between ISU students and the Ames community at their tenth meeting Monday.

The Commission on Improving Relations Among ISU Students, the University, the city of Ames and the Ames community has been dealing with ways to enhance community relations between the groups, said William Rock, commission co-chairman and Government of the Student Body vice president.

“We, as a commission, came up with a list of questions we felt needed to be addressed,” Rock said. “And we have been coming up with our own answers.”

This is the first time commission members will be allowed to present their individual ideas on promoting the relationship between Iowa State and Ames, said Bob Kindred, co-chairman of the commission and assistant city manager.

“We’ll use this as a basis to make recommendations to [ISU] President [Gregory] Geoffroy, Mayor [Ted] Tedesco and Sophia Magill,” Kindred said. “These are things we want to build on.” Sophia Magill is the president of GSB.

The suggestions brought up on Monday will be refined at the next meeting on Nov. 15, when the commission will seek public input on the recommendations from the Ames community, Kindred said.

Questions like how to make the community a better place to live will be the topic of discussion in open forums and focus groups, which will consist of both ISU students and members of the Ames community, Kindred said.

The two open forums, which all students and residents of Ames are invited to attend, are going to be held later this month. One will be in the Council Chambers of City Hall, 515 Clark Ave., and the other will be on campus in the Memorial Union.

“We wanted to make one forum especially available to the students,” Kindred said. “We are going to provide food, which I’m told is important in attracting them.”

Committee co-chairwoman Laura Bestler-Wilcox said she hopes the commission meetings will encourage the community to start talking about these issues.

“We hope that these recommendations spark thought-provoking conversations,” Bestler-Wilcox said. “We want people saying ‘Why don’t we have this?’ or ‘This is what I see.'”

The Veishea commission meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Monday in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.