Students less challenged at Iowa State

Jennifer Faber

ISU students aren’t being challenged as much as students at other research institutions, according to a national study.

The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching held a faculty forum Wednesday to discuss a survey conducted by the National Survey of Student Engagement.

ISU results were below the national average of research institutes in the level of academic challenge.

The results were taken from the 2003 survey because Iowa State didn’t participate in the survey this year.

The survey annually polls first-year students and seniors at colleges and universities nationwide. Information is gathered about student participation in programs and activities provided to students for their learning and personal development. The surveys reflect behaviors of students and institutions, and it can be used by the institutions to identify areas to improve undergraduate experiences inside and outside the classroom.

The survey found that first-year students at Iowa State were more likely than first-year students at other research institutes to work with other students to prepare for class, work with faculty on projects and participate in internships. They were less likely to ask questions or participate in class, write papers longer than five pages or engage in serious conversation with students of a different race or ethnicity.

ISU seniors were more likely than seniors from other research institutes to work with classmates on out-of-class assignments, study abroad and participate in internships. They were less likely to participate in community-based projects, discuss course ideas out of class or engage in serious conversation with students of a different race or ethnicity.

“The concern I have is we’ll misinterpret this survey,” said Corly Brooke, director of the ISU center.

She said the idea wasn’t to make classes more difficult or assign more homework — it was to encourage students to think at a higher level and participate more in class.

Students are recommended to spend 25 hours a week studying outside of class, Brooke said.

“Students are spending 10 hours and pulling A’s and B’s,” she said.

“I haven’t had to open a book all semester,” said Matt Smith, freshman in health and human performance. “But that could just be my classes.”

Increasing student engagement can be done at the course, department or college level, said Susan Yager, associate director of the center.

Learning communities, study sessions and applying outside experiences to class work all help increase student engagement, said Todd Holcomb, associate vice president for student affairs.

The College of Family and Consumer Sciences has recently changed its core curriculum, said Suzanne Hendrich, associate dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences.

She said the core curriculum now stresses two key elements: critical thinking and interpersonal communication.

Smith said he didn’t believe challenging students more would be easy.

“I don’t think there’s anything you can do because different people learn different ways and find different things challenging,” he said. “You can’t accommodate everyone.”

In the survey, Iowa State was below the national average of research extensive institutes in the areas of level of academic challenge, active and collaborative learning, enriching educational experience and student faculty interaction. It was above the national average of research extensive institutes in a supportive campus environment.