Piano performance in Ames celebrates American music

Joe Straatmann

Fingers will be flying across pianos as the ISU music department’s Scholarship Musicales kicks off Friday night with “Celebrate America in Grand Style,” a piano concert featuring duets and quartets from faculty members and students.

This concert starts a series of music performances taking place in homes throughout Ames. The purpose of the performances is twofold — raise funds for music scholarships and create a bond with music lovers in the Ames community, says Sue Haug, professor and chairwoman of music and performer at the concert.

“Some people like this more than they like attending a concert at a music hall,” Haug says. “It’s very up close and personal.”

The “Celebrate America in Grand Style” performance will be held at the home of Dennis Wendell, 917 Adams St.

His home is accommodating for such an event — it features a large music room with seating, two pianos and a mini-balcony.

“It’s a unique home,” says William David, professor of music and performer at the concert. “It’s perfect for what we’re doing.”

The night begins with duets and quartets from ISU faculty members and students, featuring music from an all-American list of composers like George Gershwin and Aaron Copland. The theme of American music was picked last summer, when the faculty was floating around some music they’d like to play. The theme fits with the upcoming elections.

“It’s timely,” David says. “A number of tunes we had seemed to have this thread, so we found some other tunes to fit with the theme.”

Haug and David will perform with music lecturers May Tsao-Lim, Paula Forrest and Andrew Adams. In addition, two students will play alongside the faculty — Amanda Jennings, junior in music, and Jana Flook, sophomore in music.

After the performance, the pianos are pulled back and the artists will socialize with the audience, usually about 30 to 40 people.

“It’s a real intimate setting,” David says.

Haug says it can be tricky to practice with seven people who have busy schedules, not to mention getting their timing right. Also, there is a challenge in parts of the performance, requiring two people to play one piano simultaneously.

“There’s a hazard playing because someone’s left hand is always running into someone’s right hand, and you’re always crossing hands to play certain keys,” Haug says.

Although Friday’s Scholarship Musicales is sold out, another event, “With a Song in Our Hearts,” is planned Nov. 11. The program will feature Simon Estes, the F. Wendell Miller Distinguished Artist in Residence, as well as faculty and student voices performing operatic arias, Broadway songs, spirituals and other music.

What: Scholarship Musicales “Celebrate America in Grand Style”

Where: House of Dennis Wendell, 917 Adams St.

When: 7:30 p.m. Friday

Cost: $30, SOLD OUT