LETTER: Opposite of Moore needed for balance

Although I agree with the views of some donors regarding Michael Moore’s controversial visit to Iowa State this week, I do not agree with the way they are approaching the situation.

Clearly they have a right to do whatever they feel with their money, but threatening to withdraw their financial support from the university unless Moore’s visit is canceled is not right.

In regards to Michael Moore’s visit, I am a little worried as to what context he is invited to speak. I recently viewed his film “Bowling For Columbine,” and upon completion of the film, the class for which it was viewed required me to do a little research into the ideas presented in the film as facts.

I never agreed with Moore’s extreme politics, but I always accepted that it was his right to produce films that showed his point of view.

However, after reading from multiple sources, I discovered that most of the information presented in the film as factual was either distorted truths or outright lies, I lost what little respect I held for Moore. If he is invited just to spread more lies, what gain can this have for ISU students?

Is Moore going to come to campus and present blatant lies as truth? If he does, who is going to expose these lies? For this reason, I think a respected conservative speaker should be invited to speak on campus and give students a fair perspective of both sides of the election.

Adam Jackson

Freshman

Computer Engineering