Pill is still more popular with ISU women

Tara Jepsen

Although the birth control patch has been rapidly gaining popularity across the country, it has yet to replace the pill as the preferred form of birth control for ISU students.

In the two years since the patch has hit the market, the Thielen Student Health Center still fills more prescriptions for the pill than for the patch.

“There was a strong interest to begin with, and now it is just a good alternative for women to consider,” said Greg Yeakel, chief of staff for the Thielen Student Health Center pharmacy.

The main advantage of the patch is that it only has to be replaced weekly, compared with the pill, which is taken daily.

“The convenience aspect of only having to deal with it once a week makes it a good alternative to the pill,” Yeakel said.

Ortho Evra, a thin flexible patch that looks similar to a Band-Aid but has a stronger adhesive, works by administering hormones through the skin into the bloodstream. These hormones, progestin and estrogen, are the same ones found in the pill. They work by preventing ovulation, which reduces the risk of pregnancy, according to the Food and Drug Administration Web site.

The possible risks and side effects associated with the patch include skin irritation where the patch is applied, nausea, dizziness and the rare risk of a blood clot, heart attack or stroke, according to Planned Parenthood.

Women who smoke are at a greater risk than those who do not.

“There are still side effects, like with the pill,” Yeakel said.

Planned Parenthood also warns women that it will be some time before long-term studies will be completed to ensure the overall safety and effectiveness of the patch.

According to the short-term tests, however, the patch is very comparable to the pill.

The student pharmacy is available to anyone who may have questions regarding the patch or any other kind of medication.

“We want to make sure students know we’re here and to come to us with questions. You just don’t get better care than here,” Yeakel said.

“The patch costs about $19.95 for one month here,” said Sally Will, pharmacy technician for the student health center. This compares to $30 at most pharmacies.

The FDA has taken action against four fraudulent Web sites for their involvement in selling counterfeit birth control patches, according to a recent FDA press release.

All of the Web sites were foreign, and the patches sold had none of the active ingredients needed to make the patch effective, according to the FDA.

Consumers are warned to fill contraceptive prescriptions only from a legitimate pharmacy.

When choosing to order medications over the Internet, the FDA suggests purchasing drugs only from sites that show the Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites seal, which shows they are in compliance with the National Board of Pharmacy standards.