EDITORIAL: Professors and politics

It is no secret that university professors are more liberal on average than the rest of the population. Discussions of whether education leads people to understand the truth of liberal causes or whether liberals are more likely to pursue faculty positions are, frankly, academic. The important question is what, if anything, should be done about this.

Some conservatives view the situation as a serious problem, and have taken it upon themselves to solve it. Writer David Horowitz started Students for Academic Freedom, “a national coalition of student organizations” dedicated to ending “the political abuse of the university” and “restoring integrity to the academic mission.” The group’s Web site boasts 135 chapters, including Iowa State University. No sign of its presence could be found here, though.

Horowitz has also written an Academic Bill of Rights for the groups to push, focusing on the issue of diversity in methodology for professors of humanities — which is a code word for hiring more conservatives.

Within this document is a portion on protecting expression within the university from legislative interference. It seems ironic that proponents are pushing the policy through state legislatures. Emphasis is placed on allowing students freedom to express their own views on matters of opinion.

Most of the suggestions are just common sense. The most extreme policy suggestions amount to affirmative action for conservatives, in the name of diversity. That, too, seems reasonable, even though many of the proponents have problems with other forms of affirmative action. It is reasonable, but it is also unnecessary.

Universities already search for the most qualified professors to fill holes in curriculum and research. There is no evidence of a pervasive bias in tenure-track appointments at public institutions. Formal complaints from students are extremely rare at Iowa State, said former Faculty Senate President Jack Girton.

ISU professors understand that their role in the classroom is to teach, not to indoctrinate. Part of the Faculty Conduct policy emphasizes the ethical role that both professors and students play in the creation of an environment where everyone feels free to speak his or her mind without fear of reprisal.

If you feel like your professor is spouting propaganda, speak up. If you think you are being graded on your views rather than your scholarship, talk to your professor, and, if you need to, file a complaint.

But don’t expect that the views you come to college with won’t be challenged. “Challenging students to become their best,” for a long time the ISU slogan, still applies today.