GSB bill would kill crows dead

Alicia Ebaugh

The Government of the Student Body is fed up with crows.

At GSB’s Wednesday meeting, Senator Ben Albright will introduce a bill asking for financial assistance from the GSB senate to help him organize a GSB-sponsored crow hunt outside Ames’ city limits.

“We all know most students don’t like crows,” Albright said. “They’re loud late at night and early in the morning, and they tend to crap everywhere.”

GSB has attempted to solve the crow problem on campus before, Albright said, but he said he hopes this event will help students feel like they can do something about it.

The hunt has to be done outside the city limits because it is illegal to hunt within the city limits, according to Ames City Code.

The bill would provide the hunt about $300 for advertising and publicity.

The event is being planned for Oct. 23. Albright said those interested in participating in the hunt will have to follow guidelines set by the Department of Natural Resources and have a hunting license.

Entrants would work together in teams and compete to see who can shoot the most crows, Albright said.

Prizes for the top shooters will be awarded, funded partially through registration fees and partially through Jax Outdoor Gear, 4723 Lincoln Way.

There is no limit on how many crows may be killed at any one time, according to Iowa DNR regulations. Albright said entrants may also shoot as many crows as they wanted.

“It’s up to individual students what they want to do with the crows they’ve shot,” he said. “I don’t want to dispose of all of them. There are all kinds of recipes online they can use to cook them if they’re brave enough.”

The two crow hunting seasons are from Oct. 15 to Nov. 30, and from Jan. 14 to March 31.

Another bill, to be introduced by Speaker of the Senate Henry Alliger, asks for $1,500 to help fund a student appreciation tailgate, which will be held Oct. 30 at the football game against Kansas.

Victoria Brenton, director of student projects, said the event was started last year as a way to connect students, university administrators and the Ames community.

“Students are always saying they want free stuff from GSB, and the football games are such a great venue to do that,” she said.

Funding for the tailgate will also be provided by the ISU athletic department and the Office of Student Affairs.

Also to be discussed at the meeting is a bill that would provide about $600 to cover the costs of hotel rooms for all attendees of the Big XII Leadership Conference, which will be held Oct. 14 to 16 in Lincoln, Neb. Most of the nine attendees are members of GSB.

In addition, USA Today representatives will make another presentation about the Gannett Readership Program.

In February, GSB voted to wait on a decision to implement the program until this semester.

With the program, as many as five newspapers, including The Des Moines Register and The New York Times, would be provided to students on campus for a $5 increase in student fees per semester. The program has already been implemented in the residence halls and is funded there through the Inter-Residence Hall Association.