Volleyball team tries for second Big 12 win

Shelby Hoffman

In a string of recent Big 12 losses and disappointments, the ISU volleyball squad finally has its chance to get back on track.

Iowa State is 7-7 overall and 1-6 in the Big 12 heading into Saturday’s game at Hilton against Baylor. The Bears twice trounced Iowa State 3-1 in last year’s matches.

The Cyclones have not won a conference contest since a decision over Oklahoma on Sept. 17 and have dropped five straight matches.

Iowa State is reeling from a 3-0 rout by Colorado Tuesday night.

“Our fight and heart were just gone. We were strong in the beginning but then we relaxed, and we need to hold on for the whole match,” said ISU junior middle hitter Katie Kruenegel. “We were discouraged but also perplexed because we have huge potential and we all recognize it.”

The tides may turn, however, against a Baylor team that is similar in weaknesses and strengths as the Cyclones. The Bears are 8-8 and 2-5 in the Big 12, and ISU head coach Linda Crum is optimistic about the team’s chances.

“They’re like us — a young team with a bulk of its kids in the junior-sophomore range. We’ve been pretty competitive with them, but they have a new coach, so we’re not sure if their style has changed or not,” she said. “Baylor is one of those teams we can be competitive against.”

Baylor was shut out 3-0 Wednesday night by No. 5 Nebraska.

Baylor has shown consistency with its ball handling and presents a large threat with sophomore 6-foot-5 middle hitter Des Guilliard-Young, who is ranked fourth in the Big 12 with a hitting percentage of .380.

“She’s become more consistent since the past year and is a real force for the team,” Crum said.

Junior setter Emily Huston ranks seventh in the conference in assists with 11.27 a game, and also notches 0.55 service aces a game to place second in the Big 12.

Adeline Meira regularly stuffs back 1.67 blocks a game to take fourth, while Guilliard-Young follows with 1.21 blocks for 10th.

The team also boasts a duo of hitters in junior Kelly Spriggs and sophomore Nicole LeBlanc. Freshman libero Kristen Schramek has been strong in the back court.

The team ranks fourth overall in the Big 12 in blocks and service aces.

“I think we’re matched pretty evenly, and there will be competition on both sides. We’re expecting success, and we’ve always expected to beat them,” Kruenegel said.

“We need to get two wins from them right away.”

Iowa State will focus on the good things it can bring to the court, such as its strong middle hitting. The squad will also focus on balancing its attacking and capitalizing on its outside hitters.

With the Big 12 so competitive, the Cyclones know they need to increase their intensity and “work as hard as we possibly can,” Kruenegel said.

“We know what it takes, and we have to encourage each other and help each other fight,” Kruenegel said. “That’s our motto right now, to fight.”