Chalk it up to experience

Tiffany J. Daniels

As technology advances, so do methods of teaching.

The traditional blackboard, also known as the chalkboard, is being replaced by the more modern whiteboard. However, this particular advancement in technology is not completely embraced by everyone.

The three main arguments for the change to whiteboards are:

• reduced allergy problems in the classroom,
  • the negative effects chalk dust may have on electronics and
  • increased personal convenience.

According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, chalk dust is an irritant that can trigger an asthma attack, and students who have severe allergies to dust particles or who have asthma should stay away from chalkboards and erasers.

Though there are college students with severe allergies and asthma, many have grown accustomed to the effects of chalk dust and learned to work around it.

The allergy, asthma and immunology academy recognizes chalk dust as being more of a problem for elementary and middle school students with allergies and asthma than for college students.

Excessive amounts of dust can damage computers, said Mohanish Kalra, senior in electrical engineering and AIT computer service student technician.

“I’ve seen it before. It can be a problem,” he said. “The dust makes things dirty and can get into the keyboards.”

Kalra said the chalk dust can be a bigger problem in laptops because once it gets into those keyboards, it can affect the motherboard, especially when professors move back and forth from the board to the computer.

Chalk can also leave a little bit of a mess behind.

“From a custodial standpoint, it can be difficult to clean up,” said Ron Cochran, manager for facilities planning and management.

“I don’t know for sure. I can only speculate, but I don’t think it’s a big problem.”

Dirk Deam, lecturer in political science, said he teaches in classrooms with both chalkboards and whiteboards and has no preference.

“Both have unfortunate effects,” Deam said. “Chalk gets all over my hands and clothes, and marker ink gets all over my hands. I go home one day with white hands and another day with black.”

Kathy Hickok, professor of English, said she prefers chalkboards.

“Markers are unreliable,” she said. “Chalk doesn’t run out of ink.”

Hickok said her preference is partially due to the fact that she is accustomed to using chalk.

“I don’t mind the chalk dust. I prefer it over the smell of the markers,” she said.

Most ISU classrooms have either chalkboards or whiteboards. There are a few classrooms, however, with both.

“I don’t think it makes a difference,” said Marcus Gray, sophomore in art and design. “It’s all the same as long as it’s written down. I learn the same way.”

Whiteboards will probably not replace all chalkboards in the near future. Beliefs are strongly held on both sides, and the only thing they can agree on is that markers run out of ink and chalk is messy.

“I like the whiteboards,” said Dawniece Trumbo, junior in marketing. “The color of the markers are more appealing to my eyes. The black or green boards are too dark.”