Disability accommodations help students stay on track

Dan Slatterly

Students with academic disabilities can receive anything from time to technology to help them perform at their best.

The Disabilities Resource Center, in room 1076 of the Student Services Building, helps students overcome the challenges of a college education, said Beatrice Awoniyi, disabilities resources director. Academic accommodations at Iowa State go above and beyond what is required by law, she said.

“Our goal in this office is independence,” Awoniyi said.

Markie Twist, graduate student in human development and family studies, has gone to college in Arizona and Louisiana and is now at Iowa State. Twist has a diagnosed learning disability in mathematics that makes computation difficult for her.

“The accommodations help you live up to your potential,” Twist said. “It levels the playing field.”

The center has accommodated her disability by offering extended test times on mathematics exams. She normally receives the test time and one-half to complete her exams.

Twist also receives distraction-free rooms for exams. She said this allows her to think aloud, improving her ability to compute the problems she is working on. These academic accommodations are provided by the instructors of the classes.

“My [professors] have all been really good about it,” Twist said. “I think Iowa State is really accepting of disabilities. They work with you. They help you succeed.”

Twist has received all A’s in her math classes.

Awoniyi said one academic accommodation that goes above and beyond is the Disabilities Resources Palm Project. This project allows students with disabilities to use a Palm Pilot for organizational purposes.

“We feel [the program] will enhance students’ success,” Awoniyi said.

Most of the students who use the palm pilots have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Awoniyi said, but the program is not specifically directed toward ADHD students. Students with any disability that causes trouble with organization may sign up to use a Palm Pilot. The Palm Pilot does not cost anything for the student, but weekly or bi-weekly meetings with students who use the Palm Pilots will be held to make sure the tool is helping, Awoniyi said.

“If it is not helpful, then there is no need for it,” Awoniyi said.

Chris Beckman, freshman in art and design, was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD when he was in high school. Beckman was successful in activities he did outside of the classroom, but, when he was in class, he said he was easily distracted.

Beckman uses a Palm Pilot to help stay organized. He has also received distraction-free rooms for exams and extended test-taking times. Although Beckman gets extra time on his exams, he said he uses all the time to make sure he filled everything out correctly.

“I’m trying to show what I know in class, just like anyone else,” he said.