Cyclones wallop UMKC, set sights on San Antonio

Shelby Hoffman

It was killing season on Wednesday night at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, but it was good in every sense of the word.

The Iowa State volleyball team remained undefeated by downing UMKC in three consecutive matches of 30-23, 30-22 and 30-28. This victory advances the team’s record to 4-0 on the season.

The Cyclones tallied 41 kills on 127 attempts on the night, led by the swing of junior middle hitter Katie Kruenegel. The offensive power, who won tournament MVP honors at last weekend’s tournament in Auburn, racked up a team-high 12 kills along with three block assists.

Nipping her heels was junior middle hitter Ashlie McWee with nine kills and seven block assists. Sophomore Nicole Lorenzen had an all-around effort, pummeling six kills and digging 11 balls.

Seniors Brittany Dalager and Christine Smeele notched impressive defensive skills with 12 and eight saves, respectively.

Dalager’s senior leadership set the pace for the momentum of the game.

Sophomore Katie Churm also contributed 10 digs and two service aces. Her ball control and consistency were assets to the squad.

The Cyclones travel next to San Antonio for a weekend tournament at the University of Texas-San Antonio.

The action opens Friday with a noon match against Rice.

“This will be our toughest competition,” said interim head coach Amy Farber Knowles.

“Rice will do a good job against us.”

The Owls are led by senior outside hitters Rebeca Pazo and Lindsey Carter, who are averaging 3.43 and 4.69 kills a game, respectively. Junior setter Kristina Hoban is averaging 11.64 assists a game.

Knowles expects the weakest match of the day against Prairie View A&M, whom the Cyclones take on at 5 p.m. Friday.

The final contest of the weekend will be at 7:30 p.m. Saturday night against the tournament host.

The UTSA Roadrunners will rely on the wiles of sophomore setter DeeDee Strickland setting up sophomore Meagan Daniel.

Strickland is getting 9.71 assists per game and Daniel leads the team with 3.57 kills per game. Defensive specialist Erin McMillan averages 2.86 digs per game.

“UTSA has developed a stable program, and we anticipate a tough match,” Knowles said.