Colloquium unites language, industry

Zoya Arora

The world is shrinking for engineering and business students, and knowledge of language and culture is vital.

To help these students, the ISU Department of Foreign Languages, in collaboration with the College of Engineering and College of Business, will host a colloquium for Languages and Cultures for Professions on Friday and Saturday.

The program was created three years ago to address the need for greater global literacy in preparation for a culturally diverse working environment.

Languages and Cultures for Professions can be added as a second major for students in various academic disciplines, and it includes studying a foreign language and a mandatory study abroad component.

In the program, students are able to tailor their degrees while acquiring skills that will prepare them for jobs within a global context.

“During the past 10 years, both students and faculty have gained an increasing awareness of global issues, and are realizing that not only are these valuable skills, but also an important personal experience,” said Mark Rectanus, program director and professor of foreign languages and literatures.

A keynote presentation workshop titled “Globalization and Professions” will be held Friday afternoon for faculty in 302 Catt Hall, featuring visiting experts from the University of Texas and Georgia Tech.

The speaker will be Richard Seagrave, distinguished professor of chemical engineering, who got involved with the program as president-elect of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, a national organization that does accreditation of applied science, engineering, technology and computer programs.

“I will be discussing the effects of globalization on the future of professional education, particularly in engineering,” Seagrave said.

Following the keynote address will be a roundtable discussion on globalization, professions and cultures with James Bernard, professor of mechanical engineering, and Thomas Chacko, professor and chairman of management.

Jim Waters, manager of hydraulics and hydraulics systems for Caterpillar Corp. will be concluding the event Saturday morning with a talk titled “Globalization, Languages and Cultures for Industry.”

Rectanus said he believes that the colloquium has an important message for students as future professionals.

“Working in different parts of the world, they have a significant impact on how that region is changing,” he said.

The last colloquium, held in April 2002, received support from ISU faculty members and the engineering industry, earning the foreign languages department a Title VI grant from the U.S. Department of Education for 2004-2006.

The grant money, as well as a sponsorship by Cargill Inc., will be used to fund this weekend’s events.