New dean adjusts to challenging role

Jennifer Faber

ISU graduate and former professor John Thomson has survived his first month as dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

After only a month, the new dean of the college said he is busy leading the college into the future.

“I couldn’t be more honored with the challenge to lead this college,” Thomson said.

Thomson became the dean Aug. 15, after almost a year of Iowa State searching for a replacement for Dean Norman Cheville.

Cheville announced his retirement in August 2003.

Returning to the college from which he graduated and later taught at presented Thomson with a strange feeling, he said.

It took him a while to adjust to being the dean of his former mentors.

“We have some of the greatest faculty of any in the United States,” he said.

So far, Thomson said, his experience as dean has been similar to being the dean at Mississippi State.

The most obvious difference, he said, is the College of Veterinary Medicine at Mississippi State is a young school.

Most graduates have been out of school for less than 20 years at Mississippi State, he said, while Iowa State has more than 120 graduated classes.

“The impact this College of Veterinary Medicine has had on society is tremendous,” Thomson said.

He said this excellence will continue in the future.

“Never in history has there been a time when society has had a greater demand for veterinary services,” Thomson said.

“We’re not going to settle for mediocrity.”

Thomson said he has many challenges ahead of him as the dean.

Raising funds for the renovation of the hospital and diagnostic lab and increasing college funding to support more faculty are just two of the challenges Thomson is facing, said Don Draper, associate dean for biomedical sciences.

“He’s handling it very well and is progressing in an outstanding way,” Draper said.

“Lots of positive and encouraging things are happening.”

Draper said the transition from Cheville to Thomson has gone well.

He said Cheville had things set up well before he retired and Thomson has picked things up smoothly.

“The credit goes to both individuals,” Draper said.

Thomson said he’s still in a learning process.

He has to learn the system and budget, as well as what the faculty, staff, and students’ needs and expectations are.

“You’ve got to be informed and get a rapport with the administrative routine,” Thomson said.

Thomson has been active in getting everyone involved in what is going on in the College of Veterinary Medicine, Draper said.

“He’s very concerned about the faculty, students and staff,” he said.

Pam Kramer, junior in veterinary medicine, said Thomson talks to people when he sees them in the hall.

“He’s more student-friendly,” Kramer said.

“He interrupted classes to introduce himself.”

Starting Friday, Thomson is going to have brown bag lunches with the students at least once a month, Draper said.

He will have lunch with the students, giving them an opportunity to speak directly to him.