Craig bounces back from injuries to take up Cyclones’ setter spot

Shelby Hoffman

After two surgeries on her knee and two more on her shoulder, ISU volleyball player Amanda Craig has the battle wounds of an age-old pro — and she’s only a junior.

“After spending all my offseasons in rehab and recovery, it’s nice just to be healthy now,” she said.

The setter from West Des Moines never let a few bumps and bruises deter her, even during her early days playing organized volleyball in fourth grade. Her father was a volleyball player in college, and she said she’s been absorbing the game at tournaments for as long as she can remember.

“My dad would take me to all the Drake matches, and they were unbelievable,” Craig said. “They were my idols.”

High school at West Des Moines Valley was spent immersed in volleyball and softball. Craig was a pitcher, and she attributes much of her shoulder woes to that. Volleyball season was spent with her best friends on a team that had “amazing chemistry,” even if it wasn’t the most dominating team.

Craig became first Valley volleyball player to be honored “on the wall,” by virtue of first-team all-state status during her senior season.

“It was such an honor,” she said. “After a season of it being hyped up and the embarrassment of it possibly not happening, it was just awesome.”

Next up was college. Growing up, it was Craig’s dream to play in college, and reality finally sank in once universities came calling.

“The process evolved faster than I could have imagined,” she said.

Her choices had narrowed to Iowa State and the University of Northern Iowa when she suddenly knew her answer.

“I just woke up one day and called my parents with my decision,” she said. “I already felt like part of the team at Iowa State, and it just fit.”

Another factor in the decision to stay close to home was Craig’s close relationship with her mother. She and Craig’s father and brother are her biggest supporters.

Craig said her father is her favorite coach, one who offers advice from a different perspective. She regularly relies on his feedback for improvements in her game that his trained eye may have noticed. Craig’s road to setting success wasn’t smoothly paved. Her freshman year found her in libero and defensive positions. Later that season, she was switched to outside hitter, which gained her the fierce mentality she has now.

That soon changed after an “out of control” staph infection raged in her left knee, requiring surgery. After recovery, a dive for the ball during a game against Colorado reopened the scar and the infection. Craig was out for the remainder of her first season.

Between her freshman and sophomore years, Craig’s days on the hitting line caught up with her, and she needed a shoulder scope “to tighten things up.” However, halfway through her sophomore season, it wasn’t enough to last, and major reconstructive surgery was the only answer.

“There were so many things wrong inside my shoulder, it was almost like it was dislocated,” she said.

This year, in the setter position, which she was recruited to play, Craig said she feels just as at home as any position before.

“I liked playing different roles for the team; each was a different aspect to the game,” she said.

The setter is a determining factor on how numerous plays evolve. Craig said she likes playing that role, especially for the Cyclones.

“I love being on the court, playing for these coaches, with these teammates and for this conference,” Craig said.

When looking at the deep bench Iowa State has to offer this season, Craig said her motivation is stronger than ever.

Her goal to be on the court at all times means relentless work to secure her position.

After the Cyclones’ 2004 campaign is completed, Craig said she’s looking forward to her first spring season, where she will work one-on-one with the coaches and bust out repetitions to perfect her setting skills.

“When I was hurt, no one knew if I’d come back, so any game could be my last,” she said. “I’m just playing for the moment, giving it my all.”