Tae Kwon Do Club is given guidance beyond the usual kicks and punches

Jess Jochims

A correction was added to this article Sept. 24.

Due to a reporting error, the Sept. 22 article “Tae Kwon Do Club is given guidance beyond the usual kicks and punches” mistakenly referred to the ISU Karate Club as the ISU Tae Kwon Do Club throughout the article. The Daily regrets the error.

Since the ISU Tae Kwon Do Club was created in 1975, Master Yong Chin Pak has taught 24,000 ISU students and faculty self-defense.

Tae kwon do is Korea’s national sport. A native of Seoul, Korea, Pak has been involved in the sport for more than 40 years.

“It is a very competitive sport in Korea,” Pak said. “I started when I was young and kept competing in junior high, high school and in college. It is like how basketball is like over here; typically a lot of youngsters play.”

Pak has brought the art of hand and foot defense to the act of self-defense. Besides the teaching of tae kwon do techniques, Pak enjoys teaching his students other life lessons.

“The most satisfying part is if someone has great talent but never finishes up, or someone that doesn’t have the talent but is always a great finisher,” Pak said. “That is why I preach perseverance, continuity, commitment and consistency.”

Pak said he teaches things that schoolteachers can’t.

“Schoolteachers teach academics, and I teach heart and to be a better person,” Pak said. “I help teach how to lead a better life and how you respect and think about other people. Those kinds of things make me proud.”

Four-year club member Ben Brooks, graduate student in animal science, said that the lessons learned from Pak are priceless.

“You always learn something from him about how to handle yourself in everyday situations and to always work hard,” Brooks said.

The tae kwon do lessons Pak has taught Brooks has definitely paid off.

Brooks (heavyweight) and Daniel Fath (featherweight) both won national titles at the National Collegiate Tae Kwon Do Championships. Keri Andersen was second (middleweight women) at nationals.

“Nationally in the past 15 years, Iowa State’s team has been in the top three [and] five times national university team champions,” Pak said. “With over 500 colleges involved, we were second place last year.”

Iowa State’s fiercest rival at the championships comes from California-Berkeley. That tournament will be taking place in March at Berkeley, Calif.

Pak said the Golden Bears are always dominant and competitive.

“They beat us last year [at nationals] by a couple points, and I am looking to be the 2005 collegiate national champions this year,” Pak said.

A senior in micro-biology, Andersen said the California-Berkeley squad is very good.

“Last year we beat them in Seattle, and then they turned around and beat us in Connecticut. This year should be a lot of fun because we are going to Berkeley for nationals, since they are hosting it this year,” Andersen said.

“They are a good team and are pretty nice people over there too. We just like fighting each other.”

Andersen, said she enjoys the instruction from Pak and the physical parts.

“I enjoy the discipline, it’s a good discipline,” she said. “It keeps me in shape and helps to distress you.”

Brooks also likes to stay in shape and is very fond of all the members in the club.

“The team members are all great people,” Brooks said. “They are hard workers, full-time students, some even have jobs, put in so many hours and it really pays off.”

Pak said he appreciates all the club members.

“All our tae kwon do members have great dedication and cooperation,” Pak said. “Many people volunteer for fund-raisers (for the national tournament) for our Corn Harvest, car wash and raffle tickets. I greatly appreciate it all.”