WebCT is fairly secure, flexible teaching tool

Alicia Mcghee

Despite reports of cheating with online learning tools at other institutions, ISU faculty and staff said they feel reasonably secure when using WebCT.

“The system is fairly secure,” said Randy Dalhoff, assistant director of Academic Information Technologies. “We’ve had it up since ’98, and I can remember three times when students claimed they completed an exam, but when we went back to look, we didn’t find anything. That’s all I’ve heard of as far as cheating goes.”

Dalhoff said WebCT is supported by the Center of Excellence in Learning and Teaching, which helps instructors learn how to set up course materials online.

“CELT and Allan Schmidt do all the interfacing and work with instructors on how to use it,” Dalhoff said.

However, Dalhoff said some instructors are concerned about students taking exams open book or looking up information on Google.

Schmidt, assistant director of the Center of Excellence in Learning and Teaching and instructional development coordinator of the Instructional Technology Center, said it all depends on how instructors organize their course and how they use WebCT.

“What goes on in the course goes on between instructors and students,” Schmidt said. “I’ve never had anyone formally complain. The server follows all of the accepted standards.”

Schmidt said some instructors make it so students won’t have to cheat on exams and quizzes offered on WebCT.

“Many instructors encourage students to collaborate or use text as references when taking exams,” Schmidt said. “Others set up proctor computer labs so that students don’t use text or talk to each other during exams and quizzes.”

Doug Bull, program coordinator for genetics, development and cell biology, said he has managed testing labs in Gilman Hall.

“As best we can, we attempt to alleviate difficulties with the system,” Bull said. “As far as testing goes, we have to work with what WebCT provides us.”

Although WebCT can be used many different ways, Bull said, there is no way to make it completely secure.

“I wouldn’t say it’s set up to be a fool-proof testing system,” Bull said. “You can’t always alleviate all avenues of cheating.”

For other instructors, the issue of students cheating on WebCT is not an issue.

“In my course, I only use WebCT for posting grades and the syllabus,” said Brian Cherer, lecturer in foreign languages and literatures.

Cherer said WebCT is very useful for making course materials and announcements available to students at all hours of the day.

Emily Ericson, senior in computer science, who has used the system in a course before, agrees that WebCT is a rather flexible class tool.

“It was kind of pointless to cheat because most instructors let us use our books or notes,” Ericson said. “If an instructor set out to make a quiz online, it’s implied that you can use your notes.”

Schmidt said WebCT is simply another option for instructors to use to teach students.

“It’s just a different environment to take tests,” Schmidt said.