Iowa State athletes secure three NCAA bids; potential for more Sunday

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State then-redshirt junior Chase Straw takes on South Dakota State then-sophomore Colten Carlson as a part of the 157-pound weight class during the first period of their match at Hilton Coliseum on Feb. 1, 2019. Straw won the matchup. The Iowa State wrestling team won 47-0 against South Dakota State.

Trevor Holbrook

After failing to send more than one athlete to the NCAA Championships last season, the Cyclones managed to punch multiple tickets on day one of this year’s Big 12 Championships.

Through day one, Iowa State secured three NCAA Championships bids with redshirt sophomore 149-pounder Jarrett Degen, redshirt sophomore 184-pounder Sam Colbray and redshirt senior 197-pounder Willie Miklus.

Degen, Colbray, Miklus and 157-pound redshirt junior Chase Straw will compete for first place Sunday. With one 157-pound allocation, Straw must beat Oklahoma’s Justin Thomas to automatically qualify for the NCAA Championships.

Outside of the four in the finals, redshirt freshman 133-pounder Austin Gomez, freshman 165-pounder Schumacher, redshirt sophomore heavyweight Gannon Gremmel and redshirt sophomore 141-pounder Ian Parker were bounced to the consolation bracket but are still in solid position.

The four are set to wrestle in the consolation semifinals. Gremmel and Parker both need one more win to grab a bid. Schumacher and Gomez need one win with two chances to get in.

Other places in the lineup with work to do are 125 pounds and 174 pounds.

Redshirt sophomore 125-pounder Alex Mackall fought through the back side of the bracket and needs one more win in two chances to secure a bid.

At 165 pounds, freshman Logan Schumacher can finish as high as third or as low as sixth place. To grab a bid he needs a fifth place or better finish.

Redshirt freshman 174-pounder Marcus Coleman has two matches left and needs one win for a bid.