Despite injuries, Shadden runs by faith, not by sight

Ricky Rud

Grant Shadden knows that no matter the circumstance, he can rely on God.

The fifth-year senior runner has had his share of injuries. Despite this, he turns to God for his strength.

Injuries have plagued his running career since he started high school.

“I feel the reason I kept going was that God gave me this gift and this is how I can glorify and honor him,” Shadden said.

The summer prior to his freshman year in high school, Shadden started to get serious about distance running.

“I fell in love with the concept of pure competition. It’s something that could test your limits,” he said.

It was his sophomore year when the injuries started coming.

During the cross country season, he dislocated a metatarsal bone in his foot. The following spring, he suffered a worse injury.

“I dislocated my right knee during the track season,” Shadden said. “They didn’t think I would ever run competitively again. I went through five months of no running and painful rehabilitation.”

Fast forward two years. Shadden is a senior running for Marshalltown High School at the Drake Relays.

“We had won the 4×800, and the next morning, I felt awful,” Shadden said.

“I prayed to God to give me strength. I wanted to run, so I said, ‘I really need your help.’ I got a definite ‘no.’

“I got angry. I said, ‘Fine. I’ll do it on my own then.’ I went to get my [racing] number and I fell straight back. Then I woke up in the emergency room with a whole bunch of tubes and needles in me. The doctors told me I had a viral infection in my heart. They said had I started that race, I would have gone into cardiac arrest. God was looking out for my best interests. I wanted it my way, but he had other intentions.”

By the time his high school running career was over, Shadden would be named to the all-conference, all-district, all-state and elite all-state teams in cross country. He signed a scholarship to run at Bowling Green State in Ohio.

He again struggled with injuries. During his freshman year, he had a bone evulsion under his right knee, meaning the connective tissue pulled off the bone.

During his second year, Bowling Green State cut its track program. Shadden decided to transfer to Iowa State.

“I’m really thankful ISU allowed me to come on the team,” Shadden said.

“I was a broken-down racehorse. I hadn’t done anything collegiately.”

Shadden’s injuries did not stay in Ohio. The sciatic nerve in his back was pinched “almost constantly” his first year in Ames. During the summer of 2003, he was diagnosed with arthritis in his back as a result of his pelvis and tail bone being shifted out of place.

“My entire four years up to this point, I struggled with pain, doubt and depression,” he said. He was ready to give up running — until he said a pivotal prayer.

“I prayed to God, ‘If this is something you want to keep doing, make it clear.’ Soon after I prayed that, I started feeling the best I ever have in my life.

“It’s amazing what God’s done, the past few years especially. I would get injured running 30 miles per week. This summer, I was running an average of 100 per week. It’s not me. It’s God. Even if I wanted to quit, I felt I had to keep pushing on.”

After college, Shadden, a psychology major, wants to do something in Christian counseling or ministry. As for this year, Shadden said, the team has a lot of potential.

“I just want to lead by example. I just want people to see God’s strength through my weakness,” he said. “I’m fragile, and I feel like I’m going to be able to race with God’s power.”