COLUMN: ‘Girls Gone Wild’ creator’s new twist on debauchery no better than his first

He’s about to strike again. The New York Times news service in Daytona Beach, Fla. reported in April that Joe Francis, founder of the “Girls Gone Wild” video series in which partying female college students were encouraged to get drunk and expose themselves, is now about to launch an equally obscene video series featuring guys. He calls it part of his broad expansion plan. More like reverse exploitation. He’s now scheming to apply his “Girls Gone Wild” name to restaurants, clothes, music and movies.

The “Guys Gone Wild” series scheduled for release next week, will feature young male college students who are “encouraged” to drop their pants by all-female camera crew who then urge the guys to “go wild.” For some, that meant jumping up and down on hotel beds. Francis is hoping that this series will appeal either to women during bachelorette parties or gay men.

Is watching a video of drunk naked women or men making fools of themselves so Joe Francis can get richer really our idea of a good time?

According to The New York Times news service, Francis has spent seven years building his soft-porn empire into what he boasts is a $100 million-a-year business, despite numerous pesky lawsuits and a criminal case involving a rape charge pending against him.

Hardly surprising, considering this guy seems to know no boundaries in his relentless pursuit of money and sex.

Like a vulture circling its prey, his business tactics are in fact quiet, simple and brilliant. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. Young 20-somethings are living for the moment when they’re on vacation and believe that they need to consume large quantities of alcohol in order to have fun; thus inhibitions are down. Group conformity compels you to do things you would never even consider if you were alone. Conditions are perfectly primed for Francis. Enter camera crew. Show us the goods, ladies. Drop your drawers, guys.

The reaction from students is mixed. Those who have been filmed say it’s all in fun and no harm is done.

According to other reports, an embarrassed, sobered up male student asked that his “performance” be cut from the film because he was planning a career in politics and his dad is governor of some state. A female student dismissed the idea that her exhibitionism would hinder her career in medicine, but got quiet when asked if she’d want her parents to see what she’d done.

The smart ones declined to play a part in this and wanted nothing to do with anything containing “Gone Wild” in the title.

Although Francis claims that his “actors” are informed about what’s going on and are doing everything by their own free choice, the students have no idea that Francis plans to exploit them. They’re relaxing. Sunburned, sore from beachside volleyball, and more than slightly drunk, of course they will happily agree to do anything for anyone. They’re not thinking about long-term consequences. (That’s why they’re sunburned and drunk.) They’re living in the moment. Also contributing to this absurd debauchery is the notion many young adults seem to have that self-exposure for the fun of it is totally acceptable.

Francis’ idea of how to make a living is ultimately destructive, both to himself and those he catches on film. He needs to be settling into his prison cell for the long haul, but because he sits on top of a fortune, all he has to do is throw his money around the criminal justice system so he’s not accountable to anyone for any reason. This is evident from the fact that he should still be in jail from the last lawsuit from “Girls Gone Wild,” but managed to bail himself out.

The majority of people don’t associate “Girls Gone Wild” with Joe Francis, according to Jennifer Worthington, one of the partners in the Girls Gone Wild restaurant venture. Maybe it’s time to get the word out and warn them.

Perhaps Francis should focus on his restaurants, movies, and other business ventures rather than pornography.

Camera crews will be aiming for the usual spring break and Mardi Gras hot spots this year.

If you’re scheduling Cancun or Padre Island for your spring break, just remember the name Joe Francis and understand what he does.